• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What birds are likely to be around Oulu early June? (1 Viewer)

Will probably do the same as you though we need a car for 6 days.
Finnature have switched our guide to a Jari Wilenius.
Pity UK Norway car ferries no longer run as I would have liked to take my Landie Defender 110 over. Could have taken all my camera kit plus a few bottles of beer.
I hope Jari can put us on to a few odds and sods other than owls for later on. I fancy filming Smews, in fact I fancy just seeing them again. Last time was at Dungie RSPB before I was into video.

Ron

Let us know how you get on Ronjax. Hope you get some great photos !:t:

"Pitkänokka-Kukkohovin laidun" is where you want to be which...thanks to the ever wonderful G**g*e translator is...wait for it..."Long-billed Rooster Hovi pasture"...I think we need CAU to interpret better than I can...

The location is here, but unfortunately it was a migrating individual (female), and hasn't been seen since that (only a few migrating birds have been seen recently):
http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/...Harrier&scale=80000&action=link&mode=&lang=en

"Pitkänokka" and "Kukkohovi" are names of places ("Long cape" and "Rooster court"), and "laidun" is "pasture", like Google correctly translated.

A few very early records of Arctic Warbler have been made, but all are one-day records of migrating individuals.

There are still some Smews in the Oulu area, but they have mostly moved on to the lakes where they breed (in Lapland and Kuusamo).

Look around for hire car companies - we found one that includes no excess and a free additional driver. Economy Car Hire - don't know if do Finland....

That said Finland is massively expensive for car hire. Take a video of the car before you drive off to verify condition. Also, there are speed cameras everywhere in the south and police checks - guess the same applies in the North! The verges may not be as solid as they look - we had to get towed out of a ditch once.

I had some massive dips in the North but also some big plusses. Got the only singing male Yellow Breasted Bunting at the time 1999 (Liminka) and Terek Sandpiper - not far from oil works but not obvious without good directons. Red Flanked Bluetail was a good 1.5 hours hard walk (3 in morning) at Valtavarra but worth it - we took our breakfast and cooked by the lake before walking back - magic.

The staff at Liminka were awesome and happy to point in right direction. Ortolan Bunting in the car park!

Good luck!

Many thanks Andreas & Rosbifs - just back - no Pallid Harrier but male Hen Harrier nearby to the Pallid spot was nice.
Had to travel 130 kms N up to and past Kemi on Finnature tour to see Great Grey Owl and Hawk Owl but had tremendous views. Plus Ural owl seen really well east of Oulu. So had very little time my self.

Trip report now posted under Vacational Trip Reports.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back