• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are you seeing now? (1 Viewer)

Wildwoman

It's the middle of May and I've seen brown thrashers, a Baltimore Oriole, cardinals, sparrows, mourning doves, redwing blackbirds, common grackles, crows, house finches, goldfinches, chickadees, robins, and a wild turkey.

Has anyone seen any hummers yet?

Hummers back on May 8th

Hummers back in early May in Northern Lower Penninsula.

I had a good neotropical movement on Saturday at Pentwater in Oceana County Michigan. At Chester St. Park on the south side of Pentwater Lake I had the following warblers: Tennessee, Black and White, Palm, Yellow-rumped, Northern Parula, Blackburnian, Blackpoll,American Redstart, Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Yellow, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Waterthrush,Wilsons, and Cape May. Also had Red-eyed, Warbling, Philadephia, and Yellow-throated Vireos in addition to Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Swainson's Thrush, and Pine Siskins all within about one hour.

BA

Holy Moly! I'm in the GR area and still haven't seen a hummer. Got the feeders up, but no luck yet.

We're in the burbs. This is the first year I've seen brown thrashers. I'm pretty sure a pair is nesting somewhere nearby. Are they common? This was also my first year to spot an Oriole. I've got oranges out for them now, but I understand they don't frequent feeders whilest nesting.

Bird books just don't cover everything!

Here in southern Leelanau county, we've had Hummers and Orioles since about Mother's Day. Hummers are increasing in numbers still. I think the Orioles are starting to nest...seeing fewer at the feeder. Sporadically on the oranges.
Indigo Bunting stopped by the other day.

Saw a male hummer over the weekend. Yea!

Mostly, though, it's been blackbirds of various types, sparrows, mourning doves and an occasional cardinal to brighten my day.

Brown thrashers have disappeared. Bummer. I'm hoping they'll be back. Also hoping to see an oriole or two before they leave.

It's now the middle of July. I've got a female hummer that stops by every day and I hear her chittering, so maybe there is another one out there challenging her territory. Haven't seen the male. There are three feeders up, each out of the sightline of the others. Plus, natural food.

I've got oranges and grape jelly out, hoping to lure the Oriole back, but so far, no luck. Seeing plenty of finches, sparrows, mourning doves, and blackbirds of all kinds.

Otherwise, it's been pretty slow.

Shorebirds are starting to return. A friend just saw a Willet and a Marbled Godwit at the Platte River outlet on Lake Michigan in Benzie County. There have been numerous reports of Short-billed Dowitchers, Lesser Yellowlegs, Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers. Sanderlings and Baird's Sandpipers soon to follow.

Beginning of August and I've seen my first Cedar Waxwing in our bath. Also either a Downy or Hairy woodpecker. Not my first, but the first I've seen scarfing down peanuts in the shell, and he hung around long enough to get pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back