• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Kirby Merganser questions(s) (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Re' the Mergansers which are at the marina. Can anyone advise if
a) they are there at any particular times (and I know they don't carry
watches)
b)Or have they gone :C
Reason for the question is I travelled to see them this afternoon only to find they had flown------they were there this morning then 'upped & went' on me. I dont mind another visit but as it's a 50 mile round trip would like to give it the best chance.

Re' the Mergansers which are at the marina. Can anyone advise if
a) they are there at any particular times (and I know they don't carry
watches)
b)Or have they gone :C
Reason for the question is I travelled to see them this afternoon only to find they had flown------they were there this morning then 'upped & went' on me. I dont mind another visit but as it's a 50 mile round trip would like to give it the best chance.

Not sure there is a simple answer to this question. I think early morning and late afternoon are probably best but others who visit the site more often than I do could give you a better idea of their behaviour. As the marine lake is frequently used by windsurfers, a calm day would probably be best.

CB

Early morning does seem to be the best time of day. As the place gets busier the birds tend to push out towards the middle of the lake. As the birds have been there a while now they seem to be less bother by the presence of people. There was a scaup (with a slight identity crisis, as it was diving in unison with the merganser) with them when I went last Saturday.

Cheers

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back