• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Went with the Swift 828 HHS 8.5x44 (1 Viewer)

elkhorn98

Thanks for all the suggestions here. I went with the Swift 828 HHS 8.5x44. I got them on Friday and am happy so far. Very good handling, lightweight, waterproof, clear, bright, etc. The only thing is the focus seems a little slow but I guess you don't want it too fast. and I can get use to that.
:bounce:

elkhorn,

Good choice! The 828 HHS 8.5x44 is the next full size binocular on my "To Buy" list. I've been very impressed so far with the demo units I've evaluated... I think these are very underpriced binoculars for what they offer!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Welcome to the Swift family. I should say the Henry Swift Era family. Henry's bins are the finest values ever created. Too bad the latest models are not up to snuff.

Update. I compared them side by side with the Audubon Equinox 8x42, Nikon Monarch 8x42, and a Zeiss classic 10x40. The swift was clearly better than the Equinox and I couldn't tell a difference with the Monarch. Although I liked the handling of the Swift over the Monarch hands down. In the field I compared with the Zeiss. I thought the Zeiss was a tad brighter but the person who owned the Zeiss liked the Swifts better. Not to bad being compared to a $1000 binoc! The Equinox Hps will be in stores here on Monday. And those should also be considered in this price range.

Robert Ellis said:
Welcome to the Swift family. I should say the Henry Swift Era family. Henry's bins are the finest values ever created. Too bad the latest models are not up to snuff.

Was Henry Swift Humphrey (Hop) Swift's father? I thought Hop founded the company.

Cheers,

Bill

Well, Humphrey's dad was Robert Swift, who founded the company (originally known as Anderson & Swift) in 1926, with the named partner. They began importing binos from Germany under their name. Eventually, the partnership dissolved and Swift Optics was formed. Soon after WW2 (not sure exactly when), microscopes and weather instruments were added to the line, and Swift began to import items from Occupied Japan, which is the case today. After Robert's passing, Humphrey (Hop) took over and expanded the lines and really made Swift a respectable name in optics, maybe not to the level of B&L or Zeiss, but no where near their price levels, either. Hop left us last year and his daughter has now taken over the reins of management. First thing she did was move the HQ of the company from Boston to San Jose (where the microscope division already was). New products have been coming and I really haven't noticed the alluded-to decline in quality mentioned above. The Audubons and Ultralites, to my eyeballs, are really fine glasses, and almost unbeatable at their price points. Yours truly, spyglass

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back