• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welney / Ouse washes RSPB info (2 Viewers)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I shall be travelling upto Norfolk in the next week (Feb 7th), and hope to photograph the Bewicks / Whooper Swans on the way up.
Given the recent flooding etc I would appreciate any feedback concerning the current situation at both Welney and the Ouse Washes RSPB reserve.
Having never visited the latter is one preferable over the other regards photographing the swans in flight and photography in general ?
Obviously I guess this may change as the birds move around but given the choice ?

Any advice of feedback much appreciated - Thanks

was at Welney on sunday access is doable but you can't use the 1101 as due to the recently rain the enviroment angency have flooded that road which is what they do as its its part of the flood plain though you only view the site from the first hides and heated hide area but the swans were showing well today not sure on the RSPB site iam afraid

I visited both sites on Saturday. The OUSE Washes was extensively flooded and we couldn't see any Whooper/Bewick's and not much else of significant interest. Best to head to Welney as Andrew suggests.

I shall be travelling upto Norfolk in the next week (Feb 7th), and hope to photograph the Bewicks / Whooper Swans on the way up.
Given the recent flooding etc I would appreciate any feedback concerning the current situation at both Welney and the Ouse Washes RSPB reserve.
Having never visited the latter is one preferable over the other regards photographing the swans in flight and photography in general ?
Obviously I guess this may change as the birds move around but given the choice ?

Any advice of feedback much appreciated - Thanks

You will have to make a decision as to which one to visit as the road between these reserves is flooded and is likely to be so for some time. To go from one to the other normally takes about 20 minutes or so but with the present floods it will be nearer to at least one hour. Welney only has the main hide and the visitor centre accessible. But plenty of Pochard, coots, tufted duck, Whoopers and mallards plus others just in front of this hide waiting for their feed at midday. Also Whoopers and Bewicks can be seen in the fields around the reserve. The birds on Ouse Washes are very often not near to any of the hides but they can be at times so they are a bit more unpredictable because they are not regularly fed (It is an RSPB reserve).
The choice is yours!:eek!:

Don't forget that at the ouse washes RSPB site you have the added bonus of tree sparrows around the visitor centre.

Don't forget that at the ouse washes RSPB site you have the added bonus of tree sparrows around the visitor centre.

You might want to get confirmation from the RSPB over the tree sparrows. I have been told that they have not been seen there for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back