• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof and Nitrogen-purged means it can withstand most things? (1 Viewer)

I have an Oberwerk BT-100XL and possibly adding some others, that are listed as waterproof and nitrogen-purged. I live across a pond (distance bird watching) and also do astronomy at night. Due to a lot of both day and night observing, is it okay to leave these out on a covered front porch so I can easily move these vs moving them throughout the house just to get outside? I'm not 25 y/o anymore and just looking to minimize inconvenience as that leads to me not observing.

I live in NC so the winter has large temperature swings and in the summer, around 90 degrees and high humidity and frequent thunderstorms. I assume it can handle these temperature swings.

I was thinking to buy a Telegizmos cover for it. Would the Oberwerk and other waterproof/nitrogen-purged binoculars be able to handle this?

Manufacturers often quote a functioning and a storage temperature.
For a Swarovski these are typically -25°/+55°C and -30°/+70°C respectively.

John

There are different degrees of waterproofness.

Also the metal parts may corrode.

If the binocular is covered and protected as well as possible it may last years on a porch, but eventually it will probably degrade.

Also the nitrogen seals won't last forever.

But for convenience I would leave it outside rather than risk personal health problems.

I have had a fisheye converter crack at minus 30C, but most optics will survive hot and cold, but not very rapid cooling.

I carefully used a very small hairdryer to remove mist on optics.

I think the only problem might be that the objective cells contract and crack the glass at maybe minus 40 degrees, but not at the temperatures mentioned here.

Regards,
B.

If you feel that you have to leave the binoculars outside, I guess you could add a layer of protection by keeping them in a large plastic container (Tupperware ?) - that would keep them dry.
Some uncooked rice in a cotton bag would "control" the humidity in the box.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back