• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want to go Birding in Merseyside (1 Viewer)

SellyoakBirder

hantsbirder
Hi I live in Birmingham and would like to go to the coastal areas of our country. Looking on Google maps the easy place that I can get using public transport is Liverpool / Merseyside area. I was wondering if anyone could tell me of a great place that I can go birding and see some great coastal birds.

I'm currently thinking about going to Marshside in Southport. Is their a good time of the year to be come to Merseyside to see lots of different species?

It's always a good time to come to Merseyside ( but I might be a little biased! ). Marshide is a cracking place - get the train to Southport, walk down to the shore and turn right. There are usually a good selection of birds in the saltmarsh on the way to Marshide and the marshes north of the old sand winnowing site hold a good selection of raptors. Depending on the tide Hoylake ( Kings Gap ) / West Kirby ( Pinfold Lane ) can hold tens of thousands of waders in the high tide roosts during the winter while Leasowe ( get off the train at Moreton ) is good for migrants and stuff. All these can be reached by bus or Wirral Line Trains from Liverpool. The brilliant RSPB reserves at Parkgate / Burton Mere Wetlands / Innermarsh Farm are easily accessed from the number 24 bus from West Kirby. As you can guess there is a superb public transport infrastucture in the area that would make most areas available with little or no trouble. Here endeth my sexing up of Merseyside ( not that it needs it ).

Chris

BTW The Gunsite carpark in New Brighton ( Busses and trains to NB ) is probably the best place in Britain to see Leach's Storm-Petrel in the autumn ( if the weathers right )

C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back