• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

vulgaris vel rarus (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

I'm considering traveling to Peru early in the new year and so I bought myself a copy of the new FG by Stotz et al. Great work needless to say and I'm glad I got it whether I eventually do go or not ..

Get to the point ----------->:smoke: ---> if you open the book at random and look at the species at any one page, there appears to be a high probability that they would have a distribution status of uncommon or worse |8(|
I do recall that on my first visit to Thailand's world-famous Khao Yai, that for many of the species I saw there, that I only saw one or two individual birds of those species .. At that time I saw the glass as half full and counted my blessings that I did at least see that one (or two) individual bird even though I would have loved to have seen more of course ..

So my question is, in the Peruvian context: how rare is rare and is this compounded more by the nature of the dense rainforest habitats there ?

as per your request;

Unfortunately, your question can't be answered with any level of accuracy, but species listed as rare the chance of you actually seeing them is relatively low. So, rare really is rare. However, this is by no means a fixed rule, as there are numerous sites where species that generally are rare can be almost guaranteed, e.g. near known nest-sites of large eagles, or other sites where a group or pair of a specific species is known live (e.g. in the highlands near Lima there are sites where the chances of seeing both Diademed Sandpiper-plover and White-bellied Cinclodes is as high, if not higher, than your risk of missing them). Likewise, it doesn't work the other way around: A species may be common, but cryptic (tapaculos, many antbirds, etc), meaning that you're unlikely to see them unless using e.g. play-back.

Clear as daylight

Wonderful answer, thanks Rasmus o:D
I fully understand what you mean and based on that, I think it would be too foolish for me to take the risk of attempting to bird in Peru without the services of an experienced local guide ..

Cheers B :)

Hello I saw your post and what he said Rasmus is true, there are places where for various reasons can be seen supposedly rare birds, I am bird guide and can help you if you need help.
Steve Sánchez

Wonderful birds

I've come back from an absolutely fantastic trip to Peru .. There are so many wonderful birds there, that it almost doesn't matter whether "rarus" or "vulgaris" ;) ..

My sincere thanks to Steve Sanchez (Illapa) who made the trip most enjoyable, memorable and worth every minute of it o:D

Here is my trip report:

http://www.geocities.com/pnptrip

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back