• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vic Reeves bird prints (3 Viewers)

Cant say I particularly like them but 'Each to his own'. Just to put the record straight for Vic Reeves (nee Jim Moir) here's an extract from an article about him:

Moir is not, of course, the first celebrity to turn his hand to artistic endeavours - nor the first suspected of being given a leg-up by his status. "No one's said it to my face," he says. "But struggling artists probably think, well, he's got it easy because he's known, and there's some truth in that. I don't think Ronnie Wood would have exhibitions if he wasn't Ronnie Wood."

In fact painting was Moir's original career plan. He attended a foundation course at Sir John Cass College in Whitechapel, London, then continued drawing and painting while working in a gallery in London's New Cross in the mid-1980s, where he exhibited some of his own work and helped pay his way by selling copies of Van Goghs and Rembrandts for £50 each. He never stopped, he says, even after he turned to comedy, and doing the exhibition has given him the impetus to do new work. He's not hugely motivated otherwise. "I'm a bit too idle."

The full article is here: http://www.vicandbob.net/text/guardian_int.htm

The most irritating thing is the fact that the name gets him exhibited, probably not the art. Would they command such high prices if he used his real name? The same thing is true for writers, anyone remember Budgie the helecopter or Victoria Plum?

Yes, I paint birds and wildlife, and would love to make a living at it. I also write and illustrate children's stories.

Woody

Last edited:
London Birder said:
since when do you have to be an art expert to call something rubbish ... crap, just like Tracey wotshernames bed

like everything

the more work you do, the more you learn and find out, the more valid your opinion

Tim

London Birder said:
since when do you have to be an art expert to call something rubbish ... crap, just like Tracey wotshernames bed

London Birder is quite right...

I attended Harrogate College of Art from 1968 thru 1971 but would never call myself an expert. I just have a simple love of good art.

And you don't need canvas for art; take a look at Nigel Blakes work,take a look at some of our brilliant wood carvers, take a look at the art of stone carvers of Kenya (who are paid pennies).....and then take another look at the 'art' of Mr Reeves.

I listened to the Radio 4 interview some weeks ago about the Vic Reeves exhibition. This 'art' wasn't/isn't meant to amuse...'It's serious, man'

If we had to be an expert on everything, before expressing an opinion, our lives would be very sad.

John.

London Birder said:
lmao ...

hands up all 'art experts'

I've done a fair bit of work on this topic over the years...

everything the artists spits out is art is a famous quote i like

whether you like the art or not is irrelevant

it's one area of life where people just have to voice what they don't like rather than what they do... free yourselves from your repressed psychologies... it's cool.

a GI once said to picasso 'your pictures look nothing like real life, they're rubbish!' Picasso asked to look at a picture of thr GI's girlfriend... Is she really that small? he said...!!!

Tim

Attachments

• _40586395_duchamp203.jpg
    _40586395_duchamp203.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 129
cool...then it's irrelevent and crap lol

all for differing ways of seeing stuff via artistic representation but as my mate said once to Brian Sewell at the Tate Modern ... 'your full of shit mate'

mind you he's into Klee

London Birder said:
cool...then it's irrelevent and crap lol

all for differing ways of seeing stuff via artistic representation but as my mate said once to Brian Sewell at the Tate Modern ... 'your full of shit mate'

mind you he's into Klee

I'm sure Mr Sewell knows the difference between You're and your though

nowt wrong with Klee

I love art, especially the way it winds up boring old farts

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
I'm sure Mr Sewell knows the difference between You're and your though

nowt wrong with Klee

I love art, especially the way it winds up boring old farts

Tim

I didn't think I was that boring!...... 8-P

John.

To place these paintings in context, I've been a fan of Vic Reeves since Big Night Out first graced our screens and his artwork has always played an important part in his comedy.

Many of his sketches featured his own surreal illustrations, many of which appeared in the excellent book "Sun Boiled Onions" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0718143965/026-0897533-3921211).

I, for one, would probably be willing to pay the price for these illustrations, but it's not because they are "technically" good. It's just because it combines my love for Vic Reeves' comedy illustrations and my love for birds.

The punk crested tit is particularly good.

Last edited:
:storm:

I know nothing of art.........complete mystery to me. Certain things I can appreciate as being of aesthetic value & of cultural/historical relevance to mankind but most modern art -complete crap.
Close down the galleries & spend the money on helping the world's poor or on protecting virgin wilderness before the loggers do their stuff.
Mr Reeves' canvas collection ......complete sh1te.
Where will it stop? We'll be buying dog keech tastefully deposited by Mitzi & Rover just 'cos their owner is a big cheese in the art/entertainment world (Govan street art). Well not me boy, not me!

Feel much better now. Strangely this modern art has been somewhat cathartic, think I'll cancel next weeks colonic irrigation.

Attachments

• rabcnesbitt_.jpg
    rabcnesbitt_.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 116
Steve G said:
Feel much better now. Strangely this modern art has been somewhat cathartic, think I'll cancel next weeks colonic irrigation.

Although if you were an artist you could sell the results of the latter for a small fortune. Probably not to me though.

Art can be rubbish, rubbish can be art. Art is opinion n'est pas?

Never hear of Art for Art's sake? (10cc)

However....you lot just wouldn't let it lie :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back