• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Varanger Peninsula and Fjord (1 Viewer)

Varanger

I'd like to visit Varanger in June 2011, using the Din Tur accommodation, hired car and GPS. I need 3 people to accompany me to share costs, which would be about £300 per week, including flights, if 4 people share.
Contact me at haarhaar 'AT' hotmail.com

Ronnie Haar

I'd like to visit Varanger in June 2011, using the Din Tur accommodation, hired car and GPS. I need 3 people to accompany me to share costs, which would be about £300 per week, including flights, if 4 people share.
Contact me at haarhaar 'AT' hotmail.com

Ronnie Haar

Is it really that cheap? I would have thought flights up there from London would be about £250 per person, car hire divided by four about £80, and accomodation at least £200 each. Makes £530. Plus another £170 for food and fuel makes it about £700. Norway is shockingly expensive. But if it really is more like your figure I might be interested.

I went for 11 days, lived cheaply as possible and spent just over £1000. I was part of a team of 7 in 1 van, driving from Tempere. We took most of our food into norway from finland as we had self-catering accom at Varanga.

Camping is good option in Varanger. There is suitable places to put tent up everywhere and small streams with drinkable water. Hotels and restaurants are very expensive.

Another value for money option if you have the time...

We (team of 2) went to Varanger from Bristol UK about 4 summers ago and spent about 1500 pounds each in four months all inclusive. We mostly free camped everywhere in our van and cooked our own food.

We took our van on a ferry from Newcastle to Norway and drove up to Varanger, returning down through Finland, ferry to Estonia, and back via Poland across to Calais.

The main goodies:

This trip allowed us to take in White-backed Woodie and Capercaillie in S Norway. Great Snipe Lek, Sibe Jay, Hazel Grouse and 3-toed Woodie in Annsjon area (Sweden). Siberian Tit at Mudus (Sweden). Pygmy, Great Grey, Ural, Hawk and Tengmalm's Owls around Lulea (Sweden) the owls with local knowledge of Swedish mates. Pine Grosbeak at feeders in Finland between Lulea and Varanger. Steller's Eider and Brunnich's Guillemot at Varanger (dipped WB Diver and the Gyr, its nest was robbed that year before we got there :C). WB Diver eventually, further west at Sletnes. Aquatic Warbler on way home in Poland.

Considering how much it's possible to spend in Scandinavia in a short time if you stay in hotels and eat out, it might be worth considering a longer trip like this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back