• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

valdes Peninsular (1 Viewer)

I visited the area in September 2008. The Valdes Peninsula is a huge area to cover in a single day. Austral Thrush was fairly common in Puerto Madryn itself and had good views of Southern Right Whale in the harbour.

From here it takes slightly over an hour to drive to the toll booth at the entrance to the Valdes Peninsula. A short distance beyond this there is a turn off to the left to Isla de los Pajaros visitor centre, which is well worth visiting. Species seen here: Elegant Crested Tinamou (one very tame bird), Peregrine, Rock Shag, Magellanic Penguin and various waders.

Another 20km east on the main road towards Puerto Pyramides is the abandoned airfield, which is well worth checking out. Highlights were Rusty-backed Monjita, Common Diuca Finch and a Mourning Sierra Finch, as well as a couple of Least Seedsnipes. All of these birds were seen in a saline area roughly here - there were a couple of small ponds present at the time which probably drew in the birds.

In Puerto Pyramides itself, I saw Sheathbill, a couple of Royal Terns and some more Southern Right Whales. About 30 kms beyond Puerto Pyramides is the Salina Grande, which could be quite interesting (didn't get a chance unfortunately).

In general, the birding was quite difficult in the arid landscape with low numbers of birds present. If you see any puddles or ponds, they are well worth checking for a few minutes.

Valdes

I visited the area in September 2008. The Valdes Peninsula is a huge area to cover in a single day. Austral Thrush was fairly common in Puerto Madryn itself and had good views of Southern Right Whale in the harbour.

From here it takes slightly over an hour to drive to the toll booth at the entrance to the Valdes Peninsula. A short distance beyond this there is a turn off to the left to Isla de los Pajaros visitor centre, which is well worth visiting. Species seen here: Elegant Crested Tinamou (one very tame bird), Peregrine, Rock Shag, Magellanic Penguin and various waders.

Another 20km east on the main road towards Puerto Pyramides is the abandoned airfield, which is well worth checking out. Highlights were Rusty-backed Monjita, Common Diuca Finch and a Mourning Sierra Finch, as well as a couple of Least Seedsnipes. All of these birds were seen in a saline area roughly here - there were a couple of small ponds present at the time which probably drew in the birds.

In Puerto Pyramides itself, I saw Sheathbill, a couple of Royal Terns and some more Southern Right Whales. About 30 kms beyond Puerto Pyramides is the Salina Grande, which could be quite interesting (didn't get a chance unfortunately).

In general, the birding was quite difficult in the arid landscape with low numbers of birds present. If you see any puddles or ponds, they are well worth checking for a few minutes.

Thank you for the information which is useful. I had no idea that Valdes was so large until I started researching. I will have to plan carefully to target what I wish to see.

Yes, the distances in Argentina are not to be underestimated! I only stayed two days in the area, covering the Valdes Peninsula on the second day. On the first day I birded the Trelew Lagoons, the Dolavon farmland and Punta Tombo Nature Reserve. I definitely saw a lot more birds on this route, which may be an alternative to visiting the Valdes.

Trelew Lagoons: About an hour south of Puerto Madryn, these are a couple of large lagoons on the outskirts of Trelew. They can be accessed from the dirt track here, a short distance from the roundabout. There is a good viewpoint here. You can follow the track east to another larger lagoon, but unfortunately at the time it was too muddy for me. Species seen: Chilean Flamingo, White-tufted, Great & Silvery Grebe, various ducks, Red-gartred Coot, Spectacled Tyrant and various other commoner songbirds.

Dolavon: About 30kms west of Trelew, I had Burrowing Parrot a short distance outside of Dolavon on the main road through Dolavon from Ruta 25 (here). There were a couple of ponds further along this track with a variety of ducks, while the farmland scrub held the commoner local passerines.

Punta Tombo: Nature REserve about 2 hours drive south of Trelew which holds the largest mainland colony of Magellanic Penguins. There is also a good chance of seeing the endemic Chubut Steamer Duck offshore. There is also a good selection of various passerines in the surrounding scrub. Good stopping points include Dos Pozos and this wooded area here. Best accessed by taking Ruta 3 south from Trelew and then taking this new road to Ruta 1. From here the nature reserve is signposted. Note that the northern stretch of Ruta 1 is gravel, as is the access road to the nature reserve.

Valdes

Yes, the distances in Argentina are not to be underestimated! I only stayed two days in the area, covering the Valdes Peninsula on the second day. On the first day I birded the Trelew Lagoons, the Dolavon farmland and Punta Tombo Nature Reserve. I definitely saw a lot more birds on this route, which may be an alternative to visiting the Valdes.

Trelew Lagoons: About an hour south of Puerto Madryn, these are a couple of large lagoons on the outskirts of Trelew. They can be accessed from the dirt track here, a short distance from the roundabout. There is a good viewpoint here. You can follow the track east to another larger lagoon, but unfortunately at the time it was too muddy for me. Species seen: Chilean Flamingo, White-tufted, Great & Silvery Grebe, various ducks, Red-gartred Coot, Spectacled Tyrant and various other commoner songbirds.

Dolavon: About 30kms west of Trelew, I had Burrowing Parrot a short distance outside of Dolavon on the main road through Dolavon from Ruta 25 (here). There were a couple of ponds further along this track with a variety of ducks, while the farmland scrub held the commoner local passerines.

Punta Tombo: Nature REserve about 2 hours drive south of Trelew which holds the largest mainland colony of Magellanic Penguins. There is also a good chance of seeing the endemic Chubut Steamer Duck offshore. There is also a good selection of various passerines in the surrounding scrub. Good stopping points include Dos Pozos and this wooded area here. Best accessed by taking Ruta 3 south from Trelew and then taking this new road to Ruta 1. From here the nature reserve is signposted. Note that the northern stretch of Ruta 1 is gravel, as is the access road to the nature reserve.

Thank you for the information. I will probably end up going to Punta Tomba, esp as there is the Chubut Steamer Duck. I have seen the penguins elsewhere before in S. America. However,nearer the time I will see what conditions are like before making a final decision. It would appear that Madryn is full of companies touting for business from Cruise ship passengers and I should be able to get what I want.
cheers
Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back