• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ural Owl (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I got a bit of a shock near the cemetry today. I heard some VERY excited noisy Jungle Crows and looked around to see about 30 of them chasing an Owl through the Temple Grounds. It was quite large and pale and came to rest under a tree with all the Crows fiercely attacking it. I tried to chase the Crows away and got very close to the Owl-a Ural Owl! Not only a lifer but also my first Owl in nearly 5 years in Japan. I only saw it because I took a short cut to catch the bus home.

Otherwise a nice quiet springlike day. A few Harlequins and Red Breasted Mergansers on the sea. An adult summer plumaged Glaucous Gull in the fishing harbour joining the summer plumaged Glaucous Winged Gull was nice and a female Pochard on the river was a local tick. Lots of Dusky Thrush and Hawfinch still about and there was a huge passage of Common Gull last week (not "common" here at all) but they seem to have all passed through. Oh and not a single sniff of Crossbill yet this winter. The first Japanese Skylark of the year was singing somewhere over the Railway Station.....................up to 75 for my local year list anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back