• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

updates to Turkey book (1 Viewer)

GMK

I've just posted an extensive series of 2010 updates to my Turkish avifauna book (Kirwan et al. 2008), covering the spring raptor migration and records of many rarities, with reference to many unpublished observations (appropriately credited to the observers concerned) as well as sightings published in the literature. See http://guykirwan.webs.com/turkeybookupdates.htm

A few more updates have just been added, including news of large numbers of Sociable Lapwings and comments on the subspecific identity of the first Siberian Accentor in the country several years ago.

Some additional data just posted, including a new population of Krüper's Nuthatches in central Turkey.

I just posted a large number of updates based on records from this autumn's migration. Highlights include the first reports of so-called Steppe Grey Shrike in Turkey, the first European Storm Petrel record for almost 20 years, two Little Buntings, and quite a number of unusually late dates for summer migrants. Enjoy, it's free, as they say!

Guy

I''ll be printing them off; just about to visit Turkey after 20years of procrastination. I'll be ordering my book shortly.

Have you get any thoughts on my hit list (see other thread)? - I assume you're somewhere in the Neotropics at present but any thoughts welcome.

Cheers, alan

I've just (rather belatedly) added some information on a possible breeding location (the first in Turkey) for Yelkouan and Cory's Shearwaters, and the first Oriental (Rufous) Turtle Dove in the country.

breeding data

Thanks to Peter Castell, I just posted some breeding updates (including for Olive-tree Warbler, especially for Alan!).

I've added some recent news (from February 2011) concerning some earliest-ever dates for several summer migrants (spring is "springing" down in Southeast Anatolia at least), as well as a few rarities, including Waxwing and Buff-bellied Pipit.

Waxwings

Thanks to Emin Yogurtcuoglu, I added a lot more details about the recent spate of Waxwing records around the Samsun area of north-central Turkey. One flock numbered almost 60 birds, the largest count ever in the country.

More updates just posted, most of them based on recently published literature. Some of them are a bit outdated, but I had no time to do them before now due to having been abroad for the last month or so.

new records

I just posted some information concerning records of two new subspecies for Turkey, seen this spring.

Pink-backed Pelican

The first record for Turkey involved two at Göksu Delta yesterday. More details on my website. Thanks to Emin Yogurtcuoglu!

Lots of new updates from this spring (and some from earlier) just posted, following my return from Alaska. Thanks to all those who send me records.

I've posted a small number of updates, most notably the first instances of confirmed breeding by White-winged (Black) Tern. Might seem remarkable, but nonethless true!

Pacific Golden Plover

Am adding a few updates based on my ongoing current visit to Turkey, including details of a juvenile Pacific Golden Plover (the country's fourth) in Kizilirmak Delta, which has been present three days now and already "twitched" by several of Turkey's keenest birders.

After a long period away, I recently posted a few minor updates concerning recent rarities, and I'll try and post some more information soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back