• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turkey in September (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

After several years travelling to the Strait of Gibraltar at migration time I'm thinking it's time to give the other end a go and head off to Turkey for the Bosphorus migration, but also for anything else not too far from there.

It'll be my first trip to Turkey and I'll be hiring a car and apart from looking for spotted eagles and long-legged buzzards on the move, I'm not too particular on concentrating purely on the migration as there's plenty of other stuff that would be new to me.

Since I've not been before I'm not looking to head off into the wilds for snowcock and such, but I'm not averse to driving a hundred km or so.

I've no real preference to destination airport, or even the Bosphorus if I can pick up the movement elsewhere so I'm open to suggestions.

Can anyone give me some hints?

I had a change of plan after posting that original message and decided to give the Strait of Gib another go this year.

I'm thinking that Turkey might be on the agenda for 2012. Looking more into it, though I think that the Bosphorus isn't really what I was looking for and southern Turkey looks a better bet in general.

Thanks for the links.

If you are looking at SW Turkey a good book to get is Paul Hopes "Walking & Birdwatching in SW Turkey" ISBN 975-00155-2-5 this would help you plan your trip.

Thanks everybody.

I myself booked for Adana region in the last week of september. Can't find many reports, but I know raptor migration must be very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back