• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN 553 or TSN 773 opinions for backyard birding light hiking. (1 Viewer)

If you want a light hiking scope you will be better off with the new Swarovski ATC . Having had the Kowa 553 the ATC is considerably better in every respect although a bit more expensive. Backyard birding would be good too.

If you want a light hiking scope you will be better off with the new Swarovski ATC . Having had the Kowa 553 the ATC is considerably better in every respect although a bit more expensive. Backyard birding would be good too.
Bold statement, literally. What about the focus mechanism? ATC got dual speed?

No dual speed. Same as the Swarovski 65 ATS scope.
Sorry, I did forget to mention the weight comparison. Advantage for ATC/STC over 553/554 as well, hence quote ... better in every respect ... unquote?
Further addendum: 17x-40x zoom range at ATC/STC is "better" than 15x-45x at 553/554?

Last edited:
I have a 'partial' interest in this thread, as I'm considering a Kowa TSN-773. The reviews I've read, and seen, appear to suggest that nothing can touch it in its price range. Not sure it's everyone's idea of a 'hiking scope', but I'd be happy enough walking with it for several miles.

I've also read stellar reviews of the Kowa TSN-553, but short of spending more on the Swarowski mentioned above, wouldn't an Opticron MM4 60 or Nikon ED50 be better (and much cheaper) alternatives for compactness and portability?

Could you elaborate? Have you owned them simultaneously?

No. The 553 was sold prior to the ATC purchase.
Im genuinely curios since the side-by-side reviews I’ve seen only mention FOV and ER as being ‘better’ in the Swaro. I miss both those but preferred to save money, weight, and have the dual focus knobs and built in hood. IQ seems superb on 553 and I see no CA even at 45x.

But of course such things can be subjective and ymmv applies!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back