• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod advice. (1 Viewer)

john.roberts

Anybody got any advice on a tripod for Swarovski 85 telescope I’ve just purchased.I’m not happy with it on my Manfrotto 290 tripod with a 128 head.

There are many good options. Depends on a few things which way to go:
How tall you are
Straight or angeled
Sitting, standing or both
Backpacking or not

That being said, If you want something compact then the Sirui T024SKVA5 is fantastic. If you need the height then go with their ST124with VA5 head
If you are a ball head fan then the Revic Backpacker or Hunter tripod depending on the height u need
Benro makes a fantastic tripod head combo, Tortoise Carbon Fiber 2 Series Tripod System with S4Pro Video Head. Not meant for back packing

Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 516-217-1000

Joel
Camera Land

I use a manfrotto mvh500ah on an aluminium 190xpro3, seems OK for use with scopes upto 80mm 3-4kg) with little trouble. Probably not the lightest, a carbon tripod will be more stable at higher powers. Tried it recently at >100x and it appeared unacceptably wobbly, so I will probably swap to a 055cxpro3 tripod in the first case… same weight, much more stable. I use angled scopes, so I don’t need to fully elevate or use the centre column and I have a hook on the side to hang my bag on to help with stability.

Peter

I use a Manfrotto 055mfg with a Manfrotto 128RC with my Swarovski ATS80.
Had it quite a long time and it is a good combination.
I also have a Manfrotto 700RC2 head which came as a "kit" with the legs, if I remember correctly that was good too.

I use a Manfrotto 055mfg with a Manfrotto 128RC with my Swarovski ATS80.
Had it quite a long time and it is a good combination.
I also have a Manfrotto 700RC2 head which came as a "kit" with the legs, if I remember correctly that was good too.
Do you use plate onto the scope to secure it in the tripod 128 head.Only I don’t like the idea of using the plate.
thanks for your advice.

I have a 1,4 kg CF Novoflex TrioPod (2,1 kg with Berlebach 510 head). In calm conditions it is perfectly adequate with my Kowa 883 up to 60x. However, with my Swarovski ATM65 on the setup on Sunday and a Bft. 3-4 breeze, vibrations at 30x were disturbing. In a strong blow at the North Sea even an old Series 4 Gitzo with Berlebach 552 (ca. 5 kg) was unusable at 25x with the 883.
Essentially you have to find a compromise between portability and stability for the conditions you expect to encounter. A 2-section wooden Berlebach Report would offer you excellent stability at a reasonable price, but at the cost of about 1 kg more than a CF tripod of similar stability. Alternatively, these Leofoto inverted SOAR series with inverted leg segments would probably offer the highest stability for weight.
Leofoto also have new 2-way heads, which look good, but one BF member I know is a satisfied user of the lightweight Sirui VA-5 for his Kowa 883.
In any event I would favour the Arca-Swiss system and a longer QR plate offers the potential advantage of achieving good static balance in the horizontal without having to apply much tilt friction. If the head also has a spring counterbalance that would be an additional plus.

John

Last edited:
I have a 1,4 kg CF Novoflex TrioPod (2,1 kg with Berlebach 510 head). In calm conditions it is perfectly adequate with my Kowa 883 up to 60x. However, with my Swarovski ATM65 on the setup on Sunday and a Bft. 3-4 breeze, vibrations at 30x were disturbing. In a strong blow at the North Sea even an old Series 4 Gitzo with Berlebach 552 (ca. 5 kg) was unusable at 25x with the 883.
Yep. There's a lot to be said to have more than one tripod. I've got three I use on a regular basis, plus one heavy wooden monster that works very well in really difficult conditions.
Essentially you have to find a compromise between portability and stability for the conditions you expect to encounter. A 2-section wooden Berlebach Report would offer you excellent stability at a reasonable price, but at the cost of about 1 kg more than a CF tripod of similar stability. Alternatively, these Leofoto inverted SOAR series with inverted leg segments would probably offer the highest stability for weight.
The Berlebachs are nice - if you don't want to hike longer distances with them. Too heavy and too unwieldy. The Leofotos are lighter, however, the folded length is a bit much unless you mainly observe near your car. YMMV.
In any event I would favour the Arca-Swiss system and a longer QR plate offers the potential advantage of achieving good static balance in the horizontal without having to apply much tilt friction. If the head also has a spring counterbalance that would be an additional plus.
Or get a Manfrotto 500AH. Works very well indeed with heavier scopes. It also has a long QR plate and a spring counterbalance.

Hermann

Anybody got any advice on a tripod for Swarovski 85 telescope I’ve just purchased.I’m not happy with it on my Manfrotto 290 tripod with a 128 head.
I'm curious.... What is it you are not happy about with the 290/128 combo? I haven't had any issues with it and I like it but I have to admit I'm not that tripod/head savvy.

4368016E-3208-4100-89D1-EB66EF573504_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm curious.... What is it you are not happy about with the 290/128 combo? I haven't had any issues with it and I like it but I have to admit I'm not that tripod/head savvy.

The tube dimensions of the 290 are, IMO, borderline for high magnifications on a large scope and I think twist locks are preferable to flip locks.
The 128 head has smooth pan and tilt but is compartively heavy and the Manfrotto RC system doessn't allow fore and aft movement to achieve horizontal balance. It lacks a counterbalance spring and a 128 LP I had (with Novoflex Arca-Swiss QR coupling) was incapable of holding my Kowa 883 at 45° tilt without creep. I gave it away.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back