• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Texas (1 Viewer)

columbidae

In early May I will be making a working trip to Livingston, TX (about halfway between Houston and Lufkin, I think). I probably will not have much time for birding, but in case I am able to get away from the job for a bit, can anyone suggest a good nearby birding spot?

Thanks!

In the Livingston area there are many species that overlap from N. Carolina. In early May, there should still be some migrants passing through, and that's good news. Many warbler, tanager, and vireo species come through east Texas, and some stay to breed.

The Livingston area is surrounded by national forest lands, so expanses of woodland won't be hard to find. The question will be whether there are any 'migrant traps' that will condense the birds somewhat.

There are Prairie Warblers, Painted Buntings, Bachman's Sparrows, Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, and Brown-headed Nuthatches within an hour of Livingston. If you desire information about specific birds or locations, I'd be happy to help out. Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

Steve in Houston

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back