• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel insurance for optics (2 Viewers)

Can anyone recommend good insurance policies for covering optics when travelling abroad? Preferably providers operating within the UK. I need a policy with up to £3000 in personal items/valuables and a £1000 single item limit (my scope isn't very fancy).

I don't have home insurance, as I'm a student and currently staying with relatives, though I don't think I'm covered by their home insurance policy. I also don't think I'm covered by my parent's home insurance policy, so I've been looking for personal possessions cover but most providers seem to provide that as an add-on to an existing home insurance policy.

One has to be careful here, as insurers use their own repairers with disastrous results in my experience rather than the makers repairers.

They will also try to prevent claims with small print.

I self insure, as it is cheaper.

However, there is a very good British insurer but I forget their name. They are more expensive.

You could look at the Amateur Photographer magazine scheme or a Royal Sun Alliance option.

If you do have items stolen you need to have a police report to confirm this.

If you are traveling abroad, the travel insurance may have an option for optics.

There are notorious places where there are bag snatchers on mopeds or dogs trained to steal.

Regards,
B.

Do you also need medical cover?

The national airlines usually have good cover for all items.

You could also go to a trusted long established local insurance broker.

There may be an exclusion for say the first £250.

Personally, I would avoid anything promised on the internet.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back