• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three-toed Woodpecker, in Berlin??? (1 Viewer)

PinkoPete

Returned to birding in 2007 - after a 29 year brea
I was in Berlin last weekend and on Monday went for an early morning walk in Grosser Tiergarten to enjoy the Goshawks and Tree Sparrows. I heard a woodpecker drumming on a pine tree by a stream towards the Grosser Duerallee area of the Tiergarten. The bird appeared to be similar in size to a Great Spotted Woodpecker but seemed to have a different shaped head and was overall darker in appearance and without the usual obvious white patches on its back. There was a distinct pale area down the middle of its otherwise dark back. I am confident this was a central patch on the back and not a wing-patch. It flew off as I approached for a better view and I was unable to locate it. It looked to me like a Three-toed Woodpecker, but could such a bird turn up in a large city park? Some local knowledge would be very welcome.

It would be a great rarity in this part of Germany. Possibly you saw Middle or Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, both resident there?

I think it is almost impossible to see them outside of remote mountain areas. The white-backed woodpecker is similarly aloof.

Probably Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. given the description of the pattern. I think I mistook one of those for Three-toed once, in a place that was similarly unsuitable for the latter (but very typical for LSW).
LSW occurs throughout Germany, although not in large numbers unfortunately, and is a typical inhabitant of riparian forests. I think the Tiergarten would suit it just fine, all the more given Berlin's reputation for its avian biodiversity. I'd be very much surprised if the Three-toed Woodpecker turned up anywhere in Germany outside of the Alps and the more southerly mountain ranges (e.g. Bayrischer Wald).

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thank you everyone - it is very helpful to have some local advice on this. I will assume that I was mistaken and the poor light was playing tricks on my ageing eyesight! :)
Best wishes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back