• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Way Forward (1 Viewer)

I just wanted to add that I now use both stills and video. At the present level of "affordable" technology I need two cameras. Just the other day I had taken a shot of a cowbird only to look up and see a turkey vulture skimming low over the trees, an impossible shot with most digiscoping still cameras but easy with my hand held 20X miniDv. I can foresee a day when an affordable 4 to 5 megpixel hand held 40X video camera (3D?) recording to a terabyte chip will be available. But will the birds be?

I clearly remember not being able to enlarge and manipulated color prints at all. Showing my slides on TV would have seemed amazing. This desktop color lab/internet thing is a miracle. Even Arthur C. Clark didn't see this coming.

As for broadband, I just got hooked up to a satellite system (he did see this though), and while I still have bugs to work out (no email as of yet) it appears to serve me well in a very isolated area bereft of cable or even telephone lines.

Hi everyone

Very late into this discussion but I have had serious family commitments recently.I think digital stills and video can live side by side until technology improves sufficiently to allow digital stills/video to be produced in one unit.Video footage is useful to enable one to show a birds characteristics in flight as well as a static shot.My son(who is just beginning to take a serious interest in birding) was unsure about identifying a bird he had seen until I sent him a short video clip of a Short-Eared Owl I had captured on my camcorder.Voila!No problem - identification confirmed.
I think we sometimes get overly concerned about number of pixels /definition etc.We should be using the technology to serve us and not the other way around(that only provides the manufacturers with more profit as they produce upgrades with
very little improvement in quality/enhancements).

Cheers everone

Johnny

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back