• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Birds of Durham (1 Viewer)

Taiga Woods

Just got my copy of this new book today and it is absolutely fantastic. It must be the best value book ever, it is massive and packed with information, even up to 2011. Glad the birding is quiet at the moment as there is a lot to read.
Congratulations to all involved!!

Where could I get a copy and how much are they please?

I think someone is going to be in the North Tees area sometime soon selling copies as it is heavy (very!!) and postage will be expensive. Look out for an announcement on the Teesmouth Bird Club or Durham Bird Club websites regarding times. I am sure there will be more information from someone involved as regards sales. It is £30, well worth double that going on recent books published.

Last edited:
I got a copy as well today. A very impressive publication, for it's content as well as it's size!

They're £30 each, but available to members of DBC, TBC and DWT and one or two other organizations for £25.

Postage is extra. It was planned to be £5 but due to the size/weight it's possibly going to be a lot more than that. £10.50 was mentioned in passing today but don't quote me on that.

As Richard says keep an eye on the bird club web sites for announcements. They should be available to buy in the next week or so.

Postage is extra. It was planned to be £5 but due to the size/weight it's possibly going to be a lot more than that. £10.50 was mentioned in passing today but don't quote me on that.

Does anyone know what the score is here then?

I sent my order form off straight away when it came with the last LEK and I see my cheque for £30 has been cashed (£25 and £5 p+p) so whats what if the postage is more than £5?

I'd just wait and see how things develop. The first books have just been received from the printers and will be available in the very near future.

I'm sue they'll be in touch with everyone shortly who has already placed an order.

Does anyone know what the score is here then?

I sent my order form off straight away when it came with the last LEK and I see my cheque for £30 has been cashed (£25 and £5 p+p) so whats what if the postage is more than £5?

Don't panic Adam! Only a small number were received in advance, and the rest are coming within the next week. Anyone who paid in advance will get the book at the original advertised price which includes postage. Future postal orders will unfortunately have to reflect increased postage prices.
Details will be announced on local websites once local sale days/pickup points are arranged, for those who have transport. Its highly likely that Saltholme next Saturday will be the first. DBC and TBC members will still be entitled to the £5 saving, regardless of when they buy.

Mark

Many thanks for the help, managed to get a copy today, only had time for a quick flick through but as everyone has said it looks to be an absolute bargain. Well done to all involved!

Just to update anyone interested, books will be available at two places this coming weekend:
Whitburn CP - Saturday 10am to 12pm. (next to the ringing hut, north end of coastal park)
Rainton Meadows - Sunday 12pm to 2pm. (at visitor centre)

For those in the west, a further sale day will follow at Low Barns very soon, exact date/times to follow.

To confirm, the sale of the book is intended to be non-profit making for Durham Bird Club. As the book was only possible due to a grant from the Heritage Lottery, all profits will go back into community/heritage projects involving birds/birding in the county of Durham.

In case you can't get to a sale point, you can order by post. Here is a link to an order form on the DBC website (which also has a bit of info on the book):http://www.durhambirdclub.org/articles/BDHP_order-form.pdf

For anyone who ordered in advance, deliveries are being arranged over the coming days and you should have yours very soon.

Feedback has been very positive so far, and at £30 (£25 for DBC/TBC/DWT/NHSN members) for nearly 1100 pages of a ground-breaking publication, it represents excellent value for money.

Mark

Just to update anyone interested, books will be available at two places this coming weekend:
Whitburn CP - Saturday 10am to 12pm. (next to the ringing hut, north end of coastal park)
Rainton Meadows - Sunday 12pm to 2pm. (at visitor centre)

For those in the west, a further sale day will follow at Low Barns very soon, exact date/times to follow.

To confirm, the sale of the book is intended to be non-profit making for Durham Bird Club. As the book was only possible due to a grant from the Heritage Lottery, all profits will go back into community/heritage projects involving birds/birding in the county of Durham.

In case you can't get to a sale point, you can order by post. Here is a link to an order form on the DBC website (which also has a bit of info on the book):http://www.durhambirdclub.org/articles/BDHP_order-form.pdf

For anyone who ordered in advance, deliveries are being arranged over the coming days and you should have yours very soon.

Feedback has been very positive so far, and at £30 (£25 for DBC/TBC/DWT/NHSN members) for nearly 1100 pages of a ground-breaking publication, it represents excellent value for money.

Mark

###

Hi Mark,

This is probably a silly question given it is nearly Saturday, but is it possible to reserve a copy? Or is it just a case of turning up and first come, first serve basis.

Thanks

Andy

###

Hi Mark,

This is probably a silly question given it is nearly Saturday, but is it possible to reserve a copy? Or is it just a case of turning up and first come, first serve basis.

Thanks

Andy

I'll have 40 with me, so there should be enough. I'll make sure one is put on one side though, just in case there's a rush...

Mark

Bloody hell Mark 40 !! you best check your tyre pressures.

Got mine today and its fantastic, a credit to everyone who was involved in it:t:

My girlfriend grabbed mine and Mr Crowder's copies from Rainton Meadows yesterday (she made me carry the box from the car to the house 8) ). It's an awesome piece of work, which I'm sure I'll be dipping into for years to come! Well done to all involved!

Now if only I could get an electronic version for the Kindle...

It really is an excellent book, I'm dipping into it all the time, well done to all involved in the production.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back