• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The birds like algae? (1 Viewer)

Hello, ive recently installed a birdbath a few months ago and everywhere I read it says to clean out algae, but every time I do so no birds visit for weeks, but as soon as the algae is back all the birds start visiting again? Has anybody else had to the same experience and does anybody know why this is happening?

Hello, ive recently installed a birdbath a few months ago and everywhere I read it says to clean out algae, but every time I do so no birds visit for weeks, but as soon as the algae is back all the birds start visiting again? Has anybody else had to the same experience and does anybody know why this is happening?
What are you using to clean the algae/birdbath?

Hi Talkative and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, I can't help with your question though..... birds sure are weird sometimes LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Talkative and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, I can't help with your question though..... birds sure are weird sometimes LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for the welcome and reply, I find it really odd myself. The birds that visit are Willie Wagtails (the Australian kind), Singing Honeyeaters, Australian Ravens, Red wattlebirds and non-native spotted&laughing doves. And every time I clean it, no body but a dove for weeks.

Ah I was wondering where you were... the only places I saw Red Wattlebirds was South Australia and Singing Honeyeaters was South Australia and Western Australia (am I close? LOL.

I really fell in love with the little Willie-wagtails, they were so entertaining... and so brave too one was trying to scare away two Ravens, obviously he had a nest somewhere close.

Ah I was wondering where you were... the only places I saw Red Wattlebirds was South Australia and Singing Honeyeaters was South Australia and Western Australia (am I close? LOL.

I really fell in love with the little Willie-wagtails, they were so entertaining... and so brave too one was trying to scare away two Ravens, obviously he had a nest somewhere close.
Im in Perth WA, we had a willie couple nesting a few weeks back and after building their nest 3 times and it getting raided 2 times, they finally had a successful clutch, I love how persistent they are.

There is something to it; other animals--for example cats--also seem to prefer water from outside/tap water to preboiled water (maybe they don't like limescale). Do you use preboiled water?

There is something to it; other animals--for example cats--also seem to prefer water from outside/tap water to preboiled water (maybe they don't like limescale). Do you use preboiled water?
Nothing, straight out of the tap, all though the water is slightly chlorinated due to water in my area, it is drinkable and we do drink it, maybe the algae does something to the water additives?

Niiice.... I spent my last few days in Perth, with the previous week in Albany. You can read what I got up to in my thread (see signature link).

Niiice.... I spent my last few days in Perth, with the previous week in Albany. You can read what I got up to in my thread (see signature link).
The situation with wildlife in Perth is unfortunately poor, our signature Baudins and Carnabys are on decline and most people here still don't even know what they are.

Algae may mask the chemical taste; have you tried a filter pitcher? I have no experience with putting out water for birds, so I don't know if it can help.

EDIT: You might also try installing a small (covered) outdoor reservoir of water--which will grow some algae with time--and use it to fill the birdbath.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back