• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Big grill (Lowestoft) (1 Viewer)

cjay

I have been ignoring my local patch for two weeks now & left early this morning to grill* my area. It felt a bit autumnal this morning as the tits were gathering in a Holm oak in Bell Vue Park, calling as they joined with other species searching for insects. The extensive cover made it impossible to see anything but got both Great & Blue tit on call.

There was a scattering of Robins about & a couple of wrens but no passerine migrants to be found. I then cut my way down to the net posts area but nothing there either. It wasn’t looking too good so far but I checked every bush tree & net post so far & I was confident I had missed nothing. Once on the sea wall I attempted a sea watch but with a light south westerly coming of the land I was just kidding myself. Not even a Porpoise to observe.

Hooray at last it begun to pick up with two Turnstones on the outfall wall at Ness Point. The legs were checked for colour rings & I carried on towards Hamilton Dock. Many of the Kittiwakes have gone now but the west-facing wall still held a good number of adults, which looked as though they were still incubating eggs. No Shags were seen but there were two Cormorants on the rocks. I decided to visit the South Pier next to have a look at the Sabine’s. It was seen asleep on the rocks by Children’s Corner & moulting fast around the head, but those primaries are still very scruffy. Lots of Loafing Juvenile Larus Gulls were on Waveney Dock & a good grill through the lot brought nothing unusual. So far it had been a relatively negative day & I was beginning to think that I would be better off decorating.
Back at Hamilton Dock the adult Yellow Legged Gull was perched on a rock right beside the nominate race. Comparison between the two was easily seen. The YLG had a flatter head & sharper look about it. The mantle was a lot darker than it’s neighbor & of course those straw yellow legs.

Once back along the Sea wall to Ness Pont I kept one eye on the sea but nothing.
The groynes at last produced something good, the adult Summer Yellow legged Gull was sitting on it’s favorite post & as usual good views were obtained, but hang on. This bird had a much lighter Mantle than the one in Hamilton Dock but it had the yellow legs!

I double backed & photographed the Hamilton Dock gull, which was still there. I am sure that there are two there now. Unless the Hamilton Dock bird was a pale legged Lesser Black Back? (String alert)

Each & every groyne was scanned & I picked up a couple of Little Gulls & some juvenile Common & Sandwich Terns. At the end of the walk I found a Juv Arctic Tern!

Oh well certainly not the best day. But the walk did me good.

Colin J.

* Grill. To systematically search for birds or to observe a bird for a long time.

I too had a quiet day yesterday with cooler Autumnal weather tas well and like you still enjoyed it. I think somply being out there is good enough for many of us (actaully I'd like a rare bird or two!).

I thought from the title this was an ad for a truckers cafe colin.

Seriously though, you've focused my attention to the fact I've not been out on the local area for a couple of weeks, with holiday etc. I didn't actually realise how long it was.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back