• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns on Breydon (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Around and about Asda end of Breydon between 3.30 & 5 o'clock (ish) ..... after a days decorating !

~ 300 Common Tern
~ 150 Sandwich Tern
1 x Black Tern

Also the waders ; pretty much as yesterday ( sep thread ) + a few Golden Plover

Hi Carlos,

Apart from the Black Tern, probably all fairly local birds. Keep an eye on the flock - you could get more species later in the summer as others move down from further north, particularly Arctics and Roseates from up here. I'd guess late August to the first week of September is your best time for Roseates.

Michael

Wow, I would love to see a Black Tern, I was a week too late for a White Winged version at Belvide recently!

Yes Michael the Common breed here. Not so sure about the Sandwich Tern, I think they do as well but not in those numbers. Don;t know anything about the Black Tern, where they breed etc, must be fairly regular visitor though as there's a picture of one on the local info board.

I haven;'t been watching Breydon perhaps as closely as I could recently (too busy with the dragonflies and wild flowers at Strumpshaw ! ), and its noticeable how many more birds there now than when I last looked.

Must pay more attention ! .... and hopefully I'll catch some of those Roseates & Arctics.

Only one problem though with the counting - there's 100's of Avocet, 100's of Blackheaded gulls & various other gulls,100's of Terns ..... they're all black & white !

Hi Carlos,

The Black Tern would probably be from Holland; probably a failed breeder to be here this early. They're tolerably common Aug (adults) to Sept (juvs) on passage in the SE corner of Britain, much scarcer up here where I am.

The Sarnie Terns are probably from one of the big colonies on the north Norfolk coast, again most likely failed breeders starting to drift south.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Carlos,

The Black Tern would probably be from Holland
Michael

Thats interesting, don;t the Avocet breed in some large numbers over there as well. The Avocet flock here now is too big to be entirely the local breeders, could the Black Tern have tagged onto them ?

Hi Carlos,

Quite possible some of the Avocets are Dutch as well, but I doubt that the Black Tern flew together with them (Avocets fly much faster!). They could easily have come across on the same day of suitable migrating weather, though.

Michael

Yes it has been proven that Dutch Avocets spend the winter in the UK notably Breydon Water in norfolk & the Alde Estuary in Suffolk. The Minsmere & other UK Avocets overwinter on the Exe estuary in Devon or Cornwall.

CJ

Thanks colin. Thought I did read somewhere that they breed in Holland, didn't know ( and never really thought about it before either ) where they went and wintered after that.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back