• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiss birding (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
Anyone have any experience about birding in the Berne area of Switzerland? F'rinstance, bird clubs (local and national) and reserves? I've googled a bit, but not hit on much.
Cheers,

Tony

colonelboris said:
Anyone have any experience about birding in the Berne area of Switzerland? F'rinstance, bird clubs (local and national) and reserves? I've googled a bit, but not hit on much.
Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Switzerland I know only from mountain climbing.
Bern has an ornitoligical club
http://www.bernerala.ch/kontakt.php

The homepage is only in german, but I think if You ask in english it would be no problem.

http://www.birdingpal.org/Switzerland.htm

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Tony

Well, I don't live in Berne (more in the East), but the area around Berne is quite known in ornithological terms. North of the city, at the shore of Lake Neuchâtel you'll find the Fanel / Chablais de Cudrefin, by far the best area in Switzerland for migrating birds and a good variety of breeding species (details in German here. To the south you're in or near the Alps very quickly.
What do you want to know more precisely? How much time do you have? What time of year do you plan to come?

www.ornitho.ch
gives you the latest Swiss sightings. If you go to "Search Engine" you can search any species on any place, which may help you for planning. Some species (Capercaille or Great Eagle Owl) are not to be found because of protection reasons.

If you have more specific questions don't hesitate to ask or to PM me.

Greetings from Switzerland

André

I quite like this site:
http://www.vogelwarte.ch/home.php?lang=d&cap=voegel
If you don't enter a name, but just press "Suche starten", you get all species... "Verbreitung" then gives a map. It gives a good idea of what you might expect.
OK, so it helps if you know German, but it's also available in French.

In Bern proper, I've seen Alpine Swift. My best sightings in the mountains were far away from Bern I'm afraid (I spent many summer holidays there)...

Might be spending a bit of time in Berne. Actually, quite a lot of time in Berne as it turns out. About two years....
Thanks for the help so far!

Tony,

I don't know that area at all, but there is a book published "Where to Watch Birds in Switzerland" by Helm, that should give you a good starter. If you get chance, I can recommend a trip up into the Jura - good birding and fantastic scenery. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay, please keep us up to date with your sightings!

All the best

Ken.

Well, if you stay two years, Alpine Swifts and Crag Martins will be common roadside birds for you then. Both bred in Bern, in the middle of the town. Also Red Kites will get a common sight for you. "Where to watch birds in Switzerland" will be a good starter and the Fanel / Chablais de Cudrefin is likely to be a spot you will visit quite often. The Berner Ala (the website was mentioned by Dieter) is a very good society. They organise excursions and speeches in and around Bern. Informations about the Swiss birder scene (some call them twitcher) can be found on www.chclub300.ch, only in German unfortunately.
Bern is also near a good spot for migrating raptors, the Gurnigel. On good days thousands of birds can be seen, including Black Storks or some rare Eagles. The Alps are close, areas like Beatenberg or Grindelwald are very nice for mountain species. And in december the new Railway tunnel to the Valais will open and you will be there in no time to see species like Rock Bunting, Ortolan Bunting, Blue Rock Thrush, Eagle Owl, European Scops Owl, Melodious Warbler and much more.

If you arrive, lets go birding together!

Greetings from Switzerland (just now cold and rainy)

André

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back