• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts in sussex (1 Viewer)

cougar

Dear all'
Just to let you know of a recent positive outcome for the swift population of Bexhill...For many years I have watched the arrival and departure of swifts from my garage in Bexhill, thier chosen nest site being 2 old buildings by the station. Imagine my horror when they were demolished for the area to be redeveloped mid breeding season! One 'swift' phone call to the RSPCA brought an immediate cessation to works until the youngsters had fledged. I am now happy to say that the new buildings have been erected...along with appropriately placed nest boxes for the forthcoming years influx of summer visitors! This goes to show that as individuals we can may a real difference to potentially disasterous outcomes. I shall update you as to how the colony fair in their new abodes.
Pete

Good for you! Hope the nestboxes get used. Swift has to be my favourite bird - the screaming flocks over my childhood home are one of my earliest birding memories.

Well done Pete. You might want to report this to the SOS, if you haven't already done so, which is recording all nest sites of swifts. In fact next year more swift boxes are are being put up around Sussex by the SOS.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back