• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarvoski telescope case (1 Viewer)

POP

I received an Email from Swarvoski yesterday with regards to their new case for the new 80ats scope.They will have some examples to show at the Birdwatching Fair next week at Rutland Water.Expected to go on sale September/October no retail price but would imagine it to be £70-£80. I am sure those with the Skua case will be making a mad rush when they are available.

John

CJW it would appear dear but it is only about 7% of the price of the scope,to safeguard the scope i think it will sell

John

I only use the Skua case to hide what kind of scope it is ( a bit of inversed snobbery) and I think you'd have to give the body of the scope a serious kicking to do any damage to it. Plus the insurance cost p.a. is only about 1% of the value of the scope.

its not just damage but it helps keep it from scuffing,and when four of us are in the car,it would not need much to damage gear when thrown about in the boot,and hopefully stops any problem,and faffing about with insurance claims.

John

jthatch555 said:
it would not need much to damage gear when thrown about in the boot,
John

A bit radical I know, but this doesn't sound like the best way to treat your valuable optics ;)

It's one made specifically for the ATS 80HD (I think). There was a thread about it a month or so back - can't remember the title though sorry.
It's not the greatest bit of kit (but at least it was free!) but it affords some protection to the heel and barrel of the scope

I always think scope cases are ridiculously expensive. The Leica stay-on case is 118 pounds! The top end scopes are supposed to be very rugged and waterproof. Isn't it just enough to buy lens cap and a cover for the eyepiece?

E

Edward yes you are right,the case price is way over the top,but I think though the cases are dear,they do stop the scope from getting dirty and stained,mind you in the old days we all used to cover our scopes in black tape.I suppose like most things you make your own choice.

John

It's all dependant on personal preference.
I for instance thoght that the Leica case was worth the extra cash compared to the Skua case.
My decision was confirmed when a friend of mine purchased a Swarovski scope and is making do with the skua.
The own make case is deffinitely easier to use.
I also think it is worth getting a UV filter for the objective lens to protect against scratches etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back