• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swan geese (1 Viewer)

sarahlouise84

Hi

My non-birding friend told me she had seen unusual geese on Exeter Quay a few weeks ago. After looking at images online she identified them as swan geese. Having visited yesterday she was correct. There are 2 swan geese hanging out with the other geese on the quay. They seem perfectly calm around people (i got within a couple of meters without them even looking up from the grass). I looked for rings but neither had any. I assume these are escaped captives? but just thought I'd get a second opinion as I'm not sure where they might have come from. Are there any collections containing swan geese? I have only seen them at slimbridge and I believe they usually ring their birds. Is there any chance these are wild? (optimistic)

Thanks

p.s. I have previously (last year) seen a black swan and cygnet on the estuary which I assume originated in Dawlish and bar headed geese in cockwood ( I assume feral?)

Hi Sarah,
I'm afraid the Swan Geese, Black Swans, and Bar-headed Geese you see around are all either escapes or descended from escapes [though it would be nice to think a Bar-head took a wrong turn over the Himalaya and ended up here! ;) ].

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back