• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey (Surbiton) (1 Viewer)

I have a dream.....I am in the fortunate position to manage a small private sports ground on the New Malden / Berrylands border in Surrey, I have been in the job for around 9 months and love it, its very close to home, flexible hours and I am the boss ! what more could I ask for?
Well there is a small area of scrub, some mature Oaks, lots of brambles, Elders, Willows, Blackthorn and the like, very wild and untamed between the edge of the Pitches and the boundary which is the Hogsmil brook. Its 200m by 40m approximately and I am in charge of it !!
My intention is to develop the area and manage it for wildlife, planting berry trees like Rowans, clearing the Ash saplings and making glades for Speckled Wood butterflys etc. I have already put up 9 various nest boxes, even some Bat boxes, I have a little bit of a background in conservation and a lifelong desire to do this. I did similar 27 years ago as a young lad, logging all bird sightings, nest sites etc, back then there were nesting Bullfinches, Linnets and Lesser whitethroats less than a mile from this site, perhaps they will return ?
I feel very fortunate to find myself in this wonderful position of being able to make a difference.
Any ideas and suggestions on how to develop the area will be gratefully received.

Stuart

Hi Surbiton Stu,

Got no advice for you, sorry.
Your little patch looks great though.

Are you by any chance a member of the Surbiton & District Birdwatching Society? Your little reserve looks to be right in their area.
http://www.sdbws.ndo.co.uk/

They would be thrilled to have you, I'm sure, and you might get a lot of fun out of the society.
They are good organisers, have birding trips, indoor meetings, a newletter, a 12 km x 12 km recording area (which you are probably right in the middle of)
Maybe you are already a member?

Why not post what you see on your patch in this thread. That way it may attract attention from others

Hi Zen,
I was a member of the SDBS as a youngster and I intend to get back into the local scene starting 2008 !
I have even upgraded my 27 year old Binos in readyness.....
thanks for the reply, I will indeed post some sightings as the seasons move along.
cheers

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back