• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sungei Buloh (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

I have a stopover in Singapore next July that gives me one full day birding. I plan to go to Sungei Buloh. I have visited the website, however does anyone have a rough idea of how many birds I might see?

Thanks,

Rob

I've always found SB very slow to bird and nature watch. That said other people seem to do very well there; otters, crocs and an array of cool snakes get reported. One pro-tip is don't assume you'll be able to order a taxi back into town when you are there. I got stuck out there last year and ended up making a long long walk in the heat to the bus stop.

There are not many birds to see at Sungei Buloh in July besides the resident species. To see the maximum number of local species in a single day, I would recommend you to engage a local guide who could drive you around Singapore to visit the more productive sites (forests, mangroves, open habitat) and to spot/ID the birds for you. Typically on a good weather day, you should be able to see over 70 species in a day with the help of the guide.

One local guide you could consider is Lim Kim Seng (his website is http://birdingsingapore.com/). The local birding faternity is doing a Singapore Big Year in 2012 and Mr. Lim is currently in the lead with 261 species sighted so far. There are about 370 species recorded in the Singapore Bird List excluding recent escapee species.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back