• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer in Walligan Australia (1 Viewer)

Cliff Greet

Well, the nation has got over it's Melbourne Cup race day obsession and here Cup Day signals the beginning of the wet season.
The eucalypts are ready to flower and the Friar Birds are building their first nests, one right outside the kitchen window.
The Rainbow Lorikeets have moved in, waiting for the flowers and are feeding freely, some by hand.
Our resident Magpies have brought their young to the house, only a couple of weeks after fledging.
Our bottom paddock is teeming with Variegated Fairy Wrens sporting their beautiful blue and orange colors.
For the past fortnight, one of Australia's most endangered birds, the Glossy Black Cockatoos have been flying over the place and this morning made their first landing in trees near to the house.
Although these birds are very large 50-60cm, they are easily intimidated even by much smaller Butcherbirds. In these rare moments when they land it can be difficult to get "the shot" as they usually sit high in trees surrounded by foliage.
At the local beach the resident Osprey have been feeding on the incoming schools of Garfish.
We're all waiting for the trees to burst into flower as so many of the local birds depend on these trees for their food.

Hello Cliff.

Enjoyed reading your thread, I tried to picture what it is like were you live & those birds flying around. My wife & I are visiting Australia in february of next year & will spend three weeks in Adelaide with three day visits in Sydney & Melbourne. Will be good to see some different birds. We visited Adelaide five years ago but then I was not into birding & never took a lot of notice of the wild life there.

Regards Rod.

G'day Cliff

I've only seen Hervey Bay from a bus in the middle of the night although my brother's wife is from there so I'm sure to see it properly one day. What a great stretch of coast though. You're very lucky to have Variegated Fairy-wrens in the garden but I never managed to find Glossy Black Cockatoos in SE QLD. I'll be back though!

E

Edward said:
G'day Cliff

I've only seen Hervey Bay from a bus in the middle of the night although my brother's wife is from there so I'm sure to see it properly one day. What a great stretch of coast though. You're very lucky to have Variegated Fairy-wrens in the garden but I never managed to find Glossy Black Cockatoos in SE QLD. I'll be back though!

E
hi there Cliff and Edward just thought id mention i visited se Queensland a few years back and managed to get some good birds in the Lamington NP.This included Glossy black cockatoo.I got them whilst looking for the Black breasted buttonquail( which i found the fresh platelets but not the quails).The cockatoos were one of my favourite parrots of Oz as i watched them they softly "croaked" while eating nuts.Lamington is an excellent spot with alot of birds fairly approachable

G'day Cliff,

It is a beautiful time in Aus with late Spring and early Summer blooms and the antics of many of our birds in breeding mode. Harvey Bay is a particulary nice place too! Variegated Fairy Wrens are beautiful. I don't get them too often at Jenolan Caves Reserve but I have seen them on odd occaissions. I see them more north of Sydney.

Regards Ian (Lonchurabells).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back