• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk end of Oct (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Well I'm off to Suffolk 25th Oct. I'm staying at Westleton so a trip Minsmere is on the cards.

Does anyone have anyother recommendations. I'm there for 3 nights.

many thanks

It's a while since I've been, but I used to love Walberswick, if anything even more than Minsmere, because it seemed bigger and wilder and much more remote, but still had many of the species of Minsmere. It may have changed now, I'm talking close on 20 years ago. There were no hides or visitor centre when I was there, again that may have changed, I don't know.

The end of October was one of my favourite times to visit the place. As well as looking inland at the reedbed, check the beach for Snow Buntings, and the sea for ducks and divers etc.

Good luck. Hope you get some decent weather.

Colin

Only three nights?
Benacre and Covehithe Broads to the north of Southwold are worth a look as is the Blyth Estuary to the south of Southwold. The heathland around Westleton can produce migrants and of course Dartford Warblers. As Colin D says the beaches and sea are coming into their own now as shearwater, petrel, gannet and skuas move around the coast, plus all the Brent and wildfowl off shore. If these winds stay in the east for much of the week we should still have some Yellow-browed and Pallas's around.
As I said at the start, only three days? =))

There's only one hide at Walberswick as far as I know from a visit yesterday. We saw Bittern, Bearded Tits, a Stonechat and a Kingfisher plus a Cetti's Warbler heard.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back