• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stodmarsh reserve Kent. (1 Viewer)

michaelmacey said:
shall i not bother with the Birdforum notice do you think. Mick
Hi Mick. It's a great idea but I think 2 notices might be confusing. As a BF mod I probably shouldn't say this ;) but it is more important that the KOS is notificed about sightings as the KOS is the official recording body for Kent and any sightings become part of the annual Bird Report.

We'll make a point of looking for Cetti's at the meeting :t:

Took both ends of Stodmarsh in today, saw the usual stuff, as well as a couple of redshank at grove end. I did see, you wait for it, a cetti's, as i walked along it sang about 4 feet to my left, as i looked round it flew over some shruby stuff, so iv given myslf half a tick, as it was in-flight. There was another that landed about 20 yards away but i lost it as i focused in. Nearly there. Have another go on Friday. Lovely day for it too.

Had a nice spring evening walk at stodmarsh with me mum today. We saw a perched cetti's warbler (lifer) singing on the branch of a tree. We followed it for about 10 minutes as it moved along the bank flitting about, until it rested for a minute or so, so iv finally seen 1. We had a nice veiw of a Female marsh harrier and also saw many of the regular birds. Still not all that many birds on the water, although there were 36 Cormorants on the tree out in the middle of the main lake. We spent the last 20 minutes in the Reedbed hide watching the Carp getting frisky in the shallow water. I wonder if i can get a day ticket to fish for them. Mick

Hi all,
Just spent an enjoyable day at the Stodmarsh meet, with some really nice birders. Robinm gave us all a few new ticks along the way with his good lady wife, who ended up with my daughter as a permanent companion. Thanks to Adrianne for that!!! Others included were Father and son 'crazy birders' Mickymouse, and the chap who's name iv forgotten, oh yes 'robski, and Perry grin(Rob). Lots of birds were spotted, and even more pics were taken, hope to see some of those soon. Paige, my daughter was really good considering the milage she put in, and i would like to thank everyone for being so tolerant of her.

We started at the Grove ferry end, and began our lists from the minute we left the toilets, all hides were taken in and we had a good few highlights, none more-so than the Swifts & Hobbies .There were at least 11 Hobbies from what we could make out and the Zoom lenses and cameras were busy recording them. It was a good spectacle. Here's the total list from my notes, Robin will have a few more + the 'Heard' birds.

Robin
Song thrush
Blackbird
House sparrow
Collared dove
Great tit
Cuckoo
Wood pigeon
Marsh harrier
Magpie
Starling
Lapwing
Teal
Sand martin
Tufted ducks
Garganey
House martin
Heron
Green sandpiper
Linnet
Reed warbler
Reed bunting
Whitethroat
Cetti's warbler
Mute swan
Swallow
Shellduck
Tern-common
Coot
Greylag
Ruff
Redshank
Little egrit
Rook
Sedge warbler
Moorhen
Pochard
Mallard
Swift
Skylark
Kestrel
Gadwell
Shoveler
Greenshank
Chaffinch
Hobby
Pheasant
Wren
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Cormorant
Blue tit
Great crested grebe
Spotted woodpecker
Green finch
Nightingale

Thanks to every one for a good day. Mick & Paige

P S, Did you see the size of that Water pipit?

Last edited:
Had a couple of hours at Grove end today, didnt fancy the fishing, too windy. Saw many of the birds from last weeks meet, but the wind made a few hide.

The best 10 minutes was by the carpark toilet again, i saw 12 species from there. The meadow just along the footpath as you begin had a pair of Goldfinches which i didnt see last week, and as i came out the marsh, i walked around the bit of river to the back of the meadow. I saw 3 Whitethroats and 4 Long tailed tits while i walked back. I'll use that path again, as its nice along the river. I saw a Little egrit in flight as i came away from the 2nd hide, and i spent a fair while watching the swifts and sand martins again. Heres the list:

Robin Chaffinch Mistle thrush Rook Collared dove House sparrow Greenfinch Starling Mallard Moorhen Jackdaw Blackbird Dunnock Wood pigeon House martin Gold finch Magpie Great tit Linnet Shellduck Lapwing Pochard Teal Sand martin Shoveler Tufted duck Skylark Swift Herring gull Carrion crow Reed bunting Coot Great crested grebe Greylag Marsh harrier Greenshank Gadwell Little egrit Redshank Cormorant Whitethroat Long tailed tit. Heard Cettis's Sedge warbler Nightingale

Last edited:
Yes, its only 2 miles from my house. The opening weekend is going to be like a circus, so im going the following week, maybe mid week evening, if you fancy it, send us an email and we'll check it out. That really will be my local patch. I used to get down there before it was 're-done' i hope they havnt made it too tidy. Used to be a good walk, and im interested to know where they put 100,000 trees. Mick

Mick did you get down to Stodmarsh today? RedBacked Shrike and Spoonbill showing well at Grove Ferry end. Shrike was a lifer for me.

Mick

Had a couple of hours at the grove end today. Very little about. 6 Snipe were in the field with a Green woodpecker as you begin the trail. But the water at the Mound and next 2 hides were completely free of birds. Not so much as a Duck. A pair of Marsh Harriers were seen for a short time, and about 20 Swans flew over. That was about the best of it. Mick

There were also several parties of Bearded Tit about - including an obliging party near the green hide - and a few Cetti's (let's hope the frosts don't last!). Yesterday the alders at the Stodmarsh end also had a few Redpolls and 30+ Siskin,

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back