• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steyning birding? (1 Viewer)

gandytron

Hi All,

I'm going to a conference next week in Steyning (yes, coming all the way from Bangkok!!!), can any one recommend some places for early morning (ie pre work) birding close to Steyning or Bramber - are there places along the Adur Valley?

This will be my first British spring in 6 years, so I'm planning to make the most of it! :-O

Best

Dave

Hi All,

I'm going to a conference next week in Steyning (yes, coming all the way from Bangkok!!!), can any one recommend some places for early morning (ie pre work) birding close to Steyning or Bramber - are there places along the Adur Valley?

This will be my first British spring in 6 years, so I'm planning to make the most of it! :-O

Best

Dave

Hi Dave

There are some good places in West Sussex and migration has started. Pagham Harbour is not far and is VERY good and parts would be doable early morning with a car. They have a good website which you can google. Also Shoreham Harbour, which is further away. It is urban and semi urban birding and doesn't appeal to everyone but has good birds. Will you have a car as I think you will be pretty restricted if relying on public transport? The Adur valley is stunningly beautiful and is good for winter waterfowl but I think most have probably gone. There should be hirundines pouring up the valley soon, also some hobbies. It's not my patch, I'm further east but if you want further information let me know. The RSPB reserve at Pulborough Brooks is also good and not too far away but that needs a day really to get around properly.

Joanne

Edit: The area around Bamber Castle is good too and should be good for an early morning jaunt...I've only been there once but there is a nice bit of woodland with most woodland species and it's close enough to the coast to attract migrants this time of year. Chichester Harbour is not far either but I don't know it well; perhaps someone else will be along soon who does.

Last edited:
Thanks Joanne, I know Pagham et al well, but I think time won't allow for early mornings there, will have to stick closer to Steyning...try my luck with finding a Hoopoe on the North Downs way...;)

The adur valley is a pretty good are really. Anywhere from Steyning to Henfield on either side of the rive is good for Barn Owl, Water Rail, Stonechat and various other commonish things. Heading south towards Shoreham there are often Common Sands + Kingfisher and Ravens nest at the cement works (really obvious building on left as you head south). If you reach the estuary there will be common coastal waders and gulls to keep you interested.

Matt

I'll second what Matt says, the whole valley along the Adur river path should throw up most common species. Just to add: Kestrel and Sparrowhawk shouldn't be too difficult along with Common Buzzard. You may be lucky and catch some returning Whitethroats (they breed in good numbers on the tree flanked route to the east of the tow path (turn left just after the cement works). Have also seen passage N.Wheatear in fields this time of year along with plenty of Skylark, Linnet, Reed Bunting etc.

If you take the west bank towpath, check out the private fishing lake (opposite cement works) for Willow Warbler etc. Further down, Great Spotted Woodies at Cuckoo Corner on west bank (where feeders are) along with Bulfinch etc. Have also seen Tawny Owl up there on gate to towpath (at dusk), plenty of Lapwing as you head to Shoreham Airport and as Matt says, waders and gulls as you get to Shoreham Estuary.

+if nightingales are back the area around Woods Mill SWT reserve is a good bet, especially if you are out early. This is about two miles north east of steyning, on a turning to woodmancote from the "a" road. The downslink path near Henfield is probably the best bet for the commoner stuff. there were tree sparrows near henfield in the winter as well (don't know if they are still around).

www.sos.org.uk for all the latest sightings for sussex

+if nightingales are back the area around Woods Mill SWT reserve is a good bet, especially if you are out early. This is about two miles north east of steyning, on a turning to woodmancote from the "a" road. The downslink path near Henfield is probably the best bet for the commoner stuff. there were tree sparrows near henfield in the winter as well (don't know if they are still around).

www.sos.org.uk for all the latest sightings for sussex

Matt,

Thanks, this is great.

Woods Mill nature reserve - did I see a Little Bittern there 20 years ago? Now I feel old.........:-C

According to the birds of sussex one that was found exhausted near hove lagoon on 30th March 1988 was released on to Oreham Common (across the road from Woods Mill) where it stayed until the 12th April - so you were almost right. (and just to make you feel even older this was before i was born! ;):-O)

According to the birds of sussex one that was found exhausted near hove lagoon on 30th March 1988 was released on to Oreham Common (across the road from Woods Mill) where it stayed until the 12th April - so you were almost right. (and just to make you feel even older this was before i was born! ;):-O)

ouch :C

I was a kid lister once too, I was 15 when I saw that bird!!!

At dawn this morning one Nightingale was singing sporadically at Woods Mill NR, to the south east of the lake. Also singing/calling were at least two pairs of Tawny Owls, three Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap.

from sos website

At dawn this morning one Nightingale was singing sporadically at Woods Mill NR, to the south east of the lake. Also singing/calling were at least two pairs of Tawny Owls, three Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap.

from sos website

thanks Matt, will check the nightingales out

Hiya,

had a great couple of mornings in Steyning (17and 18 April), birding along the River Adur south of Bramber, best was a short-eared owl seen hunting over one of the fields (and a barn owl seen over the same fielf earlier that morning), plus grey partridge, yellow wag, green sand, and whitethroat.

After my meeting finished on 18th i went to Pagam Harbour - first bird I saw was an odd tringa sandpiper which I immediately identified as a lesser yellowlegs, but thinking this was ridiculous (because there was nobody else looking at it, and it was the first wader i had looked at in Europe for 18 months!) I carried on watching it trying (and failing) to turn it into something more plausible...then some birders turned up and told me that there was a report of a lesser yellowlegs there... Lesson learned: go with your first instinct!

I then went to Church Norton and had a nice group of whimbrel and an adult summer med gull fly past.

Such a great "work trip" :eek:)

Last edited:
Glad you had a good trip to West Sussex. SEOs have been numerous in the Arun valley (the one west of the Adur) this year....Amberly area particularly so glad you found one.

Congrats on the lesser yellowlegs!!:t:

Joanne

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back