• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel proof peanut feeder (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
I have just noticed a picture in the Gallery, posted some while ago showing two squirrels - one on and one IN a "squirrel proof" feeder. I regularly have 2 or 3 squirrels in the garden, but they don't usually bother with the hanging feeders (of the same type as the one shown in the Gallery), probably because there are the ground feeder tables available.

However I have a different sort of feeder, bought many years ago, and this has defeated them. It has to be hung in such a way that a squirrel cannot leap onto it (mine is hung on a wire, suspended on a pole attached to the house wall). It's a very ingenious device - if a squirrel approaches from above (the only way it can gain access), the green section shown just moves down under the squirrel's weight, and covers the nuts.

Attachments

• sprung feeder 002.jpg
    sprung feeder 002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 390
Hi Elizabeth.
Heres a trick I use. My feeders are suspended on the ends of a round pole set horizontally on top of a post in the ground. In effect its like a scarecrow without the head! I cut the tops and bottoms from plastic bottles and thread them on the horizontal pole. You need to use at least two bottles each side of the upright post. Squirrels try walking along the bottles which spin and they fall off! Great fun watching the little bl******s chattering away in rage & frustration. Don't use plastic drain pipe - it's to heavy and won't turn when they walk on it. The weight of small birds has no effect.

As long as they can't launch themselves from a nearby fence or tree this is very effective.

Michael Frankis said:
Just wait for one to learn to do a flying leap from the wire to the bottom of the feeder, alighting below the baffle ;)

They must be pretty slow learners then - I've had the feeder for around ten years now!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back