• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Break in Turkey (1 Viewer)

You're right there Alf. Me and the Mrs got a good chewing whilst out birding nr Alicante a few weeks back, so the lesson has been learnt!! We had some mozzie stuff, but cunningly left it back in the digs!

On the subject of Turkey.... I've now received the Dave Gosney book, and tentative plans are starting to be made...

I'm reckoning on spending most of our time in the local(ish) area with maybe 2 day-trips out and about (we're only there for a week)

I haven't actually got hold of a decent map yet, but if there is anyone out there who is familiar with the area.... Do you think that it is viable to do a day-trip to Bafa Gulu and the Menderes delta, plus another to the Korkuteli Hills?? Until I get my map, I'm struggling a bit with distances and road conditions...

We won't mind doing a trip which is maybe 2-3 hrs each way, but probably would baulk at anything much further...I'm thinking that Pamukkale (for instance) might be a bit of a stretch....

Last edited:
You're right there Alf. Me and the Mrs got a good chewing whilst out birding nr Alicante a few weeks back, so the lesson has been learnt!! We had some mozzie stuff, but cunningly left it back in the digs!

On the subject of Turkey.... I've now received the Dave Gosney book, and tentative plans are starting to be made...

I'm reckoning on spending most of our time in the local(ish) area with maybe 2 day-trips out and about (we're only there for a week)

I haven't actually got hold of a decent map yet, but if there is anyone out there who is familiar with the area.... Do you think that it is viable to do a day-trip to Bafa Gulu and the Menderes delta, plus another to the Korkuteli Hills?? Until I get my map, I'm struggling a bit with distances and road conditions...

We won't mind doing a trip which is maybe 2-3 hrs each way, but probably would baulk at anything much further...I'm thinking that Pamukkale (for instance) might be a bit of a stretch....

Believe it or not I use google earth a lot around my area as I can see the forest tracks etc a lot better than on the available maps !!!!!

Never found a good map - there are meant to be good military ones around.

Both trips are do-able in a day - although when I did Bafa Golu we stayed overnight to maximise the birding.

I think the mountains can be done with a 2 hour plus drive each way - there a trip report on the Internet somewhere detailing two one day visits from Dalyan - I'll try and find al ink.

Never found a good map - there are meant to be good military ones around.

Both trips are do-able in a day - although when I did Bafa Golu we stayed overnight to maximise the birding.

I think the mountains can be done with a 2 hour plus drive each way - there a trip report on the Internet somewhere detailing two one day visits from Dalyan - I'll try and find al ink.

Not to worry Rob - I can find them myself (quite possibly have already done so _ I've looked at more than a few!)

Just after a bit of practical advice really from someone who might be familiar with the journeys.

As rgds maps - I intend to go to Stanfords next time I'm in town and see what they've got.... just after a motoring atlas really to cover off the transport side of things.

Not completely confident of what will be available, and (as mentioned above) may well end up relying on Google etc for detailed maps for birding...plus Dave Gosney's drawings of course..

All the best.... Ray

The best maps that I could find were by Freytag & Berndt and were 1:50000, so not really showing local details. As driving maps though they were very good.

In general the roads aren't very fast so this should be taken into account when planning your journey. Traffic police are quite hot as well so don't take too many risks or you will be stopped. In addition the cars seem to be designed for longevity rather than speed, which makes for a more relaxing journey, if a birder could have such a thing. Finally the Turks seem to have a tradition that road signs are for wimps which makes things even more interesting.

Finally the Turks seem to have a tradition that road signs are for wimps which makes things even more interesting.

Nice one, Alf - that made me smile...

Yes. I have a fair bit of experience of driving in Spain and Portugal and, fair to say that the Ordnance Survey and Highway Agencies haven't got a lot to worry about!!

What I particularly enjoy is the way that you can be following signs to somewhere and they abruptly disappear (usually just when you need them most!) or start to contradict one-another!!

Sounds like Turkey may well have its own special charm....

Not too bothered as we probably won't be intending to be flying about all over the place, under any sort of time pressure. I'm sure we'll manage OK...

Stanfords is a good store - I'll let you know if I find anything good... Beginning to sound a bit unlikely though.

I've extolled the virtues of Dalyan elsewhere on the Turkey forum and plenty of people have re-iterated these for you here.

A couple of words of warning, however.

For some reason British marketed mozzie repellants never worked for me there (and you'll need some). The local brew is widely available in shops and chemists and is called Sinkov (I think). Get some as soon as you arrive 'cos no doubt you'll want to get stuck into the marshes.

On the advice of another birder I attempted to bird the marsh adjacent to Dalaman airport despite my better judgement. Oh dear! I spent 9 hours locked up in various secure places until the Turkish equivalent of the MI5 arrived and satisfied themselves that I was n't a spy. An apology and dinner with police commissioner and mayor still did n't give me the green light to try again. STAY AWAY was the message and I guess little has changed. Shame - it's a great spot.

I've extolled the virtues of Dalyan elsewhere on the Turkey forum and plenty of people have re-iterated these for you here.

A couple of words of warning, however.

For some reason British marketed mozzie repellants never worked for me there (and you'll need some). The local brew is widely available in shops and chemists and is called Sinkov (I think). Get some as soon as you arrive 'cos no doubt you'll want to get stuck into the marshes.

On the advice of another birder I attempted to bird the marsh adjacent to Dalaman airport despite my better judgement. Oh dear! I spent 9 hours locked up in various secure places until the Turkish equivalent of the MI5 arrived and satisfied themselves that I was n't a spy. An apology and dinner with police commissioner and mayor still did n't give me the green light to try again. STAY AWAY was the message and I guess little has changed. Shame - it's a great spot.

Thanks for the warnings - I read in someone's trip report that they nearly got arrested for birding nr Dalaman.... sounds like you went one better!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back