• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted-Bellied Quail? (1 Viewer)

Barnett

Spotted-Bellied Bobwhite?

I'm new to Post. I live and work in Costa Rica and bird here every chance I get. I'm origionally from Texas.

I noticied the Clements 5th Edition World List doesn't list the Spotted-bellied Bobwhite (perhaps lumped or merged with Crested Bobwhite) but most of the guidebooks and the latest 2004-2005 Costa Rica checklist form the CR Ornitologica society list the Spotted-bellied Quail and Crested as separate species.

Anyone help me with this?

thanks,

Lance

Last edited:
Hi, Lance! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

If you don't get an answer to your taxonomy question here in the "Say Hello" forum, you might want to repost it in the "Bird ID & Taxon Q&A" where I know someone there will be able to help. :t:

Neither the AOU nor their South American committee (SACC) recognize it as a full specie.

Ornitaxa (which keeps an update of the Sibley Monroe list) shows it as a likely candidate for splitting (incipient species) in the future:
Colinus cristatus leucopogon Spot-bellied Bobwhite

Hi Lance
The status of the Spot-bellied Bobwhite is still unclear, as is the status with many of the other bobwhites. It is often considered a race of Crested Bobwhite and sometimes lumped with a number of others, included Northern Bobwhite, into a single species. Even within El Salvador we have two distinctive subspecies. My website (see link below) has a page on this species, where I have tried to gather as much detail as I can. If you have any more information that you can add, or some decent photos (the ones I have are only record shots), I would welcome it.

Tom

Dave B Smith said:
Neither the AOU nor their South American committee
(SACC) recognize it as a full specie.

Ornitaxa (which keeps an update of the Sibley Monroe list) shows it as a likely candidate for splitting (incipient species) in the future:
Colinus cristatus leucopogon Spot-bellied Bobwhite

Thanks Dave

tomjenner said:
Hi Lance
The status of the Spot-bellied Bobwhite is still unclear, as is the status with many of the other bobwhites. It is often considered a race of Crested Bobwhite and sometimes lumped with a number of others, included Northern Bobwhite, into a single species. Even within El Salvador we have two distinctive subspecies. My website (see link below) has a page on this species, where I have tried to gather as much detail as I can. If you have any more information that you can add, or some decent photos (the ones I have are only record shots), I would welcome it.

Tom

Tom,

Great website, I'm glad to have found it since I travel often to Honduras and guatemala for business. I haven't done a lot of birding but I did see a red-throated Caracara and Orange-Breasted Falcon on the hill near the Coca Cola sign in San Pedro Sula. Thanks for the information on the bobwhites. They are fairly common in the Central Valley of Costa Rica and to the coast north. I've also seen them on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua.

thanks again,

Lance

Hi Lance
Do you have any details on the caracara and the falcon? The Red-throated Caracara was only recently rediscovered in northern Central America after a 40 year absence (actually by me and a friend) and it would certainly not be expected near to San Pedro Sula. Also, there is only one record of Orange-breasted Falcon in the country: a specimen collected in 1937!

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back