• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southport (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
Hi All.

I'm possibly heading to Southport for a course next month.Was hoping some of the locals,may let me know If there are or where the best birding sites In the area are and what species are possible ?

Not one for heading to the Bar,once the course finishes for the day.Would much rather go and explore the local bird spots.

Marshside, Martin Mere & Mere Sands Wood are all within easy distance of Southport, & Ainsdale & Birkdale beaches are always worth a visit for the Gull & Wader roosts

I grew up in Southport and Marshside was my old stomping ground (before the hides!). Its a great reserve especially if you take the time to explore further than the hides. I have always found early morning to be best although the light is better later in the day.

Anywhere from Birkdale to Formby is great if you get the tides right.

Personally when I go home I head to Freshfield for the Squirrels and woodland birds then head out to the shore for the waders and some seawatching. You ma not see another birder but that's sometimes the way I like it.

Great place to go.

Enjoy.

Sorry to post but I'm heading up to Southport area on 16/17 November.

Martinmere and Marshside look to be great places to visit but wondered if you mark my card so to speak, I always find you can't beat local knowledge. I'm very keen in see the Pink feet but wondered whats the place time and place. Do they feed in day in same sort of area.

Any other gems would be most welcome

Kind regards
Neil Duggan (Worcestershire)

I don't see why you are apologising for posting.

Martin Mere and Marshside are the best places to catch up with Pinkfeet, especially towards dusk. There is a co-ordinated count this Sunday morning which will give you an idea of how many are where at the moment.

There is also an egret roost on the marine lake in Southport which currently includes a Great White.

Stephen

I'm hoping to get back home (not since 1984!) today for a quick overnighter. Whereabouts is the Marine Lake egret roost and is the Great White still there?

Although I can't claim to be an expert I've had a few pretty good dusks at Marshside.

We found the egret roost easily, including one GWE in the bushes/trees at the northern end of the northern island in the lake, easily viewable from the land-side road.

Also of interest, as we were approaching the Marshside RSPB car park from the south (Liverpool) side, Julie who was in the passenger seat exclaimed "Squacco Heron". My response was "Unlikely" but I glanced across and saw a compact-looking bird of about crow-size flying low across the salt marsh. It had a dark back and very pale wings. This was about 15:45 and the light wasn't great.

Now we've seen a lot (probably thousands) of Squaccos in the last 12 months or so. Salt marsh when there is fresh marsh nearby? Hmm. So something else perhaps? Anybody know of any exotics or atypical birds seen in the area that might look like a Squacco Heron from a fleeting glimpse?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back