• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

south wales Birding help (3 Viewers)

willowa

What birds and where am I likley to see them around Mertha, Bargoed Rhymney areas of South Wales. We are going visiting family.
few years ago when we went back. We saw a Curlew on the mountain.
Anyone who has any local Knowledge would be very much appreciated
Thanks.

willowa said:
What birds and where am I likley to see them around Mertha, Bargoed Rhymney areas of South Wales. We are going visiting family.
Thanks.
Hi willowa, it would help if you told us in which month you were planning to visit and how much time you were likely to have free for birding; some of those upland areas can appear very quiet at the 'wrong' time of year!

How long since you were there last?

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andrew.

We hope to go early May time. The last time we went was last year. But the Curlew was about ten years ago. We wasn't looking for birds just walking dogs...I saw a Hoopoe just out with the dog not in Wales though. We are just starting to venture out birding but not having much luck at the moment.
It seems like when you deliberately go out to look for birds you don't see any...Well you do see some but not many. I am hopless with water birds... Just about learnt what comes to my garden.
I saw a Hoopoe just out with the dog. Had to look it up when I got home. It was easy to ID from the way it flew. Moth like. Nothing else like it... Amazing.
Any advice would be great.

willowa said:
Hi Andrew.

We hope to go early May time. The last time we went was last year. But the Curlew was about ten years ago. We wasn't looking for birds just walking dogs...I saw a Hoopoe just out with the dog not in Wales though. We are just starting to venture out birding but not having much luck at the moment.
It seems like when you deliberately go out to look for birds you don't see any...Well you do see some but not many. I am hopless with water birds... Just about learnt what comes to my garden.
I saw a Hoopoe just out with the dog. Had to look it up when I got home. It was easy to ID from the way it flew. Moth like. Nothing else like it... Amazing.
Any advice would be great.
Early May would be a great time, all the main Summer visitors will be in by then and in full song.

If you're just beginning in birdwatching, it may be a good idea to try to join in with an organised walk with a local bird group though. All those new songs can get quite confusing, a few pointers along the way will help a lot.

Checkout www.gwentbirds.org.uk and www.glamorganbirds.org.uk and see what outdoor meetings they have around the time that you will be here; if there's not a walk whilst you are here, it'll give you some idea of the better places to bird during your stay.

Plenty of time before you go, someone more local is bound to add some info :t: !

Andy.

willowa said:
Thanks.
Hi,
If you go to Carnetown Abercynon there is a walk to the forestry, if you take the very bottom road overlooking the playing field you will come to a small wood, keep on going until you get to the end of that wood along the narrow path, and you will come out at an housing estate, you will find Siskin, coal tits, great tits, blue tits, robin, tree creeper, nuthatch, wood sparrows, long tail tits, and if you stand 30 meters away you can watch their antics.

willowa said:
Thanks.
If you can manage to get over to Llanharan they are in the process of turning the opencast area into a nature park ,plenty of waders so I have been told.

At that time of the year there should be plenty to see at Bryn Bach Park in Tredegar (5 minutes from Rhymney) - Great Crested Grebes with young, a good mixture of ducks plus small flocks of warblers & finches.

Trefil Quarry is ideal for Raven, Wheatear, Peregrine, Kestrel, Merlin, Little Owl & Pipits plus a remote chance of Ring Ouzel (may be a little late).

I will review my old birding logs & give some more suggestions in a couple of days.

Corvus Corax said:
At that time of the year there should be plenty to see at Bryn Bach Park in Tredegar (5 minutes from Rhymney) - Great Crested Grebes with young, a good mixture of ducks plus small flocks of warblers & finches.

Trefil Quarry is ideal for Raven, Wheatear, Peregrine, Kestrel, Merlin, Little Owl & Pipits plus a remote chance of Ring Ouzel (may be a little late).

I will review my old birding logs & give some more suggestions in a couple of days.

Thats great..

Bryn Bach Park is close to where we will be visiting. :t: :t: :t:

bobwoodcock said:
If you can manage to get over to Llanharan they are in the process of turning the opencast area into a nature park ,plenty of waders so I have been told.

Not really plenty of waders, but it is an important breeding site for a couple of schedule one species, but there other birds use it for breeding and passage too. They are actually turning the site into a film studios with some small concessions to wildlife.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/wales/south_east/4655682.stm

Hi Willowa, there are a number of places you can go in that area. At the Dare country park near Aberdare there is a view point set up to view the Peregrines. At Gethin forest near Merthyr you should encounter Goshawk, Sparrowhawk, siskin, crossbills .Just North of Merthyr you have a series of reservoirs which are always worth a look. If you venture up onto the tops you might be lucky and see Merlin. Red Kites are usually spotted about the general area. If you check out places like Heol Senni you should see Pied fly catcher and Redstart in the woods .. At Craig Cerrig Gleisiad you should get to see Ravens, Wheatears, Stonechat Peregrine and Ring Ousel and maybe Winchat. Good weather is essential when visiting these spots as the terrain can get extreme, anyhow hope you enjoy your visit to Wales

At Craig Cerrig Gleisiad last summer, Redstarts, Spotted Flys, Whinchat, R Ouzel and Red Kite.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back