• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sourcing Zeiss / Docter / Noblex macro lenses for Turmon and Turmon clones (1 Viewer)

triskelion

Europe
Hi all - first post here, but I've enjoyed the discussions as a lurker for a while. Deeply impressed by the passion and knowledge on show!

I own a Zeiss Jena Turmon folding monocular of which I'm very fond, and I know that Zeiss Jena, and their successors Docter and Noblex, also marketed a small roll of lens attachments for the Turmon and its clones that would permit using it as a field microscope and teleloupe.

I'd love to buy a set of these lenses, but despite canvassing what seems like the entire internet I can't find anywhere or anyone that might sell them to me. If anyone knows where I might look, or has a set to sell (ideally UK) I'd be glad of the info. A supplementary question, I suppose, is whether the attachments made for the polycarbonate Docter/Noblex Turmon clones would fit an original Turmon. I'm guessing they would, but would welcome superior knowledge on the topic.

Thanks for any help!

Hi triskelion,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

To give others an idea of what you're talking about, I've attached an image showing the optical construction of the Turmon;
along with an image of the Noblex version, both correctly orientated for use and also when folded flat for carry (it was last in their 2019 catalogue).

Turmon and Noblex.jpg

More details can be found in post #99 at: Zeiss: Collection of cross-section and cutaway images
The last link to the Monokulare/ Monoculars site, shows the original Carl Zeiss Jena version along with variations,
and also various accessories that were produced - including lens attachments and a stand.

John

p.s. An illustration from Wikipedia shows why the two Porro prisms in use, need to be orientated at 90 degrees to each other:
so that the image is both inverted (top-to-bottom), and reversed (side-to-side).

Porro Prisms.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back