• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 infra red images (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Yesterday,someone mentioned on one of the posts,how to take good infra red images,or a question similar,I feel sure.I cannot find the post,so it may have been a comment within another post.But today,read in DigiMag Made Easy,a review re the above camera.Sony-V3.Apperently this cam has a special feature for shooting in total darkness up to a distance of 15 ft,and an enhanced ability to shoot in low light.It sounds interesting,as with many cams one has to use the landscape mode for night shots,and has to control the settings etc.The review seems very good for this cam.So could be useful for anyone who enjoys taking night shots.Also I wonder if anyone has actually used this camera,and what is their opinion of the general quality of images.
Price seems reasonable.RRP is £500,but is advertised by some dealers for £419.

One or two of Sony's top-spec cameras have this feature - it emits an infrared beam which the camera 'reads' and gives a greenish image like those image-intensifying 'night-vision' devices.

It's restricted to how far the beam will go rather like a small in-built flash unit restricts you to how far you can shoot at night.

The green image can be converted to black and white to give a rather nicer image (haven't tried it, but I've seen some shots in photo magazines).

Not sure about these small high-pixels sensors, though! Most tests seem to find them very 'noisy', especially at the higher ISO settings.

Incidentally, 'Amateur Photographer' magazine is doing a group-test of several 7.1Mp cameras in next week's issue - the V3 isn't included but the sensor, which, I presume, is made by Sony, will probably be the same in each camera. The V3 looks to have the same lens as the earlier V1 model.

Sony V3

Hi Christine,

The V3 is currently on offer at Pixmania for a amazing £307, bit of a steal if you ask me. I was going to order it, but ended up purchasing the Sony V1 from Comet today as an end of line product for £200, this camera has the exact same feature (wanted a small camera, rather than lugging the E-300 around for photographing my daughter).

When it's dark enough I'll go outside this evening and test this function and I'll post the results a little later.

I've just been reading the leaflets that came with the V1 and I discover that Sony also list a HVL-IRM nightshot light that extends the cameras night-shot range to 20mtrs.

Sounds interesting?

Regards

Mark

christineredgate said:
Yesterday,someone mentioned on one of the posts,how to take good infra red images,or a question similar,I feel sure.I cannot find the post,so it may have been a comment within another post.But today,read in DigiMag Made Easy,a review re the above camera.Sony-V3.Apperently this cam has a special feature for shooting in total darkness up to a distance of 15 ft,and an enhanced ability to shoot in low light.It sounds interesting,as with many cams one has to use the landscape mode for night shots,and has to control the settings etc.The review seems very good for this cam.So could be useful for anyone who enjoys taking night shots.Also I wonder if anyone has actually used this camera,and what is their opinion of the general quality of images.
Price seems reasonable.RRP is £500,but is advertised by some dealers for £419.

Sony V3 IR images

Hi Christine,

Well I took the V1 outside into the back garden and without the aid of any flash or lights, in total pitch black conditions - here's the result!

Regards

Mark

P.S. hand held, one shot test, loads of digital noise etc, but then I didn't expect any different - Still, considering no flash, near total darkness, I guess it's pretty impresive in it's own way.

Attachments

• Sony test 001.jpg
    Sony test 001.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 406
maporter68 said:
Hi Christine,

Well I took the V1 outside into the back garden and without the aid of any flash or lights, in total pitch black conditions - here's the result!

Regards

Mark

P.S. hand held, one shot test, loads of digital noise etc, but then I didn't expect any different - Still, considering no flash, near total darkness, I guess it's pretty impresive in it's own way.

When you think about it, this is pretty amazing. You have just taken what is really, a very detailed photo in almost total darkness, using a readily available gadget (that does much more too) that cost you £200. Only 25-30 years ago, this sort of thing would have been high-end classified military technology and cost many thousands.

I will never cease to be amazed by the way that technology keeps advancing. Isn't engineering brilliant!

Duncan.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back