• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 - stabilised x12 zoom (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I see from dpreview that Sony are bringing out a new zoom camera. Details as follows - "Sony has today announced the SLR-like Cyber-shot DSC-H1, which offers a massive 12x zoom and image stabilization to cope with camera shake at the long end. The manual H1 offers a 5.1 million pixels, a 2.5-inch LCD, 640 x 480 @ 30 fps movie mode limited only by the capacity of the Memory Stick (PRO) in use. It will ship in June and will cost around $500".

Sounds like a great deal, but I'm waiting for a 7/8 million pixel camera to replace my Panasonic FZ10. Surely with the growth in stabilised mega-zoom 4/5M pixel cameras this won't be long in coming! John

Most of the test reports that I've seen on 7/8Mp compact cameras have been far from favourable

Even 5Mp cameras can have quite 'aggressive' noise-reduction that takes the edge off fine definition so A4 prints are as far as they can go without it becoming too obvious.

If the spec is right then the camera should be OK whatever the pixel rating.

Don't fall for the Salesman's megapixel frenzy trap!

Look in depth at all-round components and then decide. If I may suggest, a good guideline is Phil Askey's www.dpreview.com website. Excellent source with detailed reviews and if the conclusion states "highly recommended" you really can't go wrong.

Herman

Thanks for the recommendations, Herman & Henry; in fact I used both of these sites when I decided to buy my Panasonic. I also take the point ultra-megapixel cameras. However, I still reckon that there'll soon be 7-8M pixel ultra-zoom camera on the market - probably this year - that will out perform my Panasonic, John

This is the camara I have and it can be good in certain situations. It can also be problematic at times and finding accesories, as with most Sony products, is a royal pain.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back