• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

some type of thrush? S.E. Massachusetts today (1 Viewer)

Here is the definitive reference:
Lane, D. and A. Jamarillo. (2000a). Field Identification of Hylocichla/Catharus thrushes Part II: Veery and Swainson's Thrush. Birding 32:242-254.

I think this one looks more like a Swainson's Thrush with such a bold eye-ring. It looks to me like there's a reddish cast overall to the photo.

Because the ID seems not to be settled…
Diagnostic characteristics are somewhat difficult to see in these photos. It looks to me—particularly in the first photo—like the flank below the wing is white/pale gray, rather than brownish, favoring Veery. The eyering also looks OK to me for some Veery, and—in the second photo—the lack of contrast between the loral and supraloral area favor Veery; in Swainson’s, the loral and supraloral area colors contrast, leading to “spectacles”.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry for the lame pics. They are the result of a combination of a) extremely bad lighting conditions, b) an uncooperative subject bird, during a 4 second encounter, and c) fairly suspect photography skills of the shooter (me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back