• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some additional etymological information – Part VII (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a seventh list of some small additional information regarding the Etymology of ten various Bird Names that I´ve happened to stumble upon trying to understand various Swedish Bird Names … for your sake (as well as I can?) in English.

As far as I understand the following birds commemorate the following … :

No. 1 – xantusii in …
● Xantus's Hummingbird (Hylocharis) Basilinna xantusii LAWRENCE 1860 as "Amazilia Xantusii": "This specimen belongs to the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution, and was sent by Mr. John Xantus, whose investigations in the Ornithology of Western North America have been the means of adding many new birds to science. In compliment to him I have named it."
= the Hungarian, originally a Lawyer, soldier and war-prisoner, adventurer, founder of the zoo in Budapest , Corresponding Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Author of seven, today, more or less valid, Birds) as well as large-scale-braggart and ditto collector János Xántus de Csisk Tapolsza (1825–1894), whose name also has been written "Louis de Vésey" eller "Xantus de Vesey" and (in English, after having fled to USA) simply as "John Xantus" or "John Xántus".

Although I haven´t been able to figure out the "de Vesey"-part ... ?

He is also claimed to be (I haven´t counter-checked them) commemorated in the Scientific names of:
● the hard-to-place subspecies (or species?) Xantus's Screech Owl Otus/Megascops (asio/kennicottii) xantusi BREWSTER 1902 as "Otus asio xantusi" "
● the highly questioned subspecies Buteo magnirostris "xantusi" VAN ROSSEM 1939 (today, most often, incl. in B. m. griseocauda RIDGWAY 1873
● … as well as in the invalid "Pyrgiosoma xantusii" LAWRENCE 1867 [Synonymous to Rusty-crowned Ground-Sparrow Melozone (biarcuata/cabanisi) kieneri BONAPARTE 1850]

No. 2 – szechenyii in …
● Szechenyi's Monal-partridge Tetraophasis szechenyii MADARÁSZ 1885 (as "Tetraophasis Széchenyii") a k a "Szechenyi's Pheasant-grouse", "Szechenyi's Pheasant-partridge" or just "Szechenyi's Partridge"
= the Hungarian famous traveler, Explorer and collector Count (in German Graf) Dr. Béla István Maria Széchenyi (1837–1918), whose Noble name sometimes is written Béla Széchenyi von Sárdár-Felsővidek – Honourary Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences .

This Béla Széchenyi was born the 3rd of February 1837, in Pest (Western Budapest) ... and he died in the same City the 2nd of December 1918.

Not to be confused with (which has been don) the Hungarian Big-Game hunter and collector Zsigmond Széchenyi (1897–1966), whose first name sometimes is written Sigismund.

No. 3 – Zeledonia/zeledoni in …
● Wrenthrush Zeledonia coronata RIDGWAY 1889 (Zeledonia RIDGWAY 1889) a k a simply "Zeledonia"
● the long debated subspecies (or species) Canebrake Wren (Cantorchilus) Thryothorus (modestus?) zeledoni RIDGWAY 1878 a k a " Zeledon’s Wren "
● the long-debated "Zeledon’s Volcano Bush-Tanager" described as "Chlorospingus zeledoni” RIDGWAY 1905 (by most considered just as a colour morph of C. pileatus SALVIN 1865, or, by some, as a subspecies of the same)
= the fairly well-known Costa Rican Pharmacists/chemist and keen bird watcher José Castulo Zeledón (1846–1923), among those who knew him most often called simply ”Don José”.

In the Obituary, by Ridgeway, of this (most often cited as) "José C. Zeledón" his full name was written "José Castulo Zeledón" … " with the summarizing phrase: "I have never known a better field ornithologist …".

Quite a posthumous reputation!

No. 4 – Zenaida/zenaida in …
● Zenaida Dove Zenaida aurita TEMMINCK 1810 a k a "White-winged dove" (Zenaida BONAPARTE 1838, based on his own "Columba zenaida" – equivalent of today's subspecie Zenaida aurita zenaida BONAPARTE 1825)
= the French Princess Zénaïde Laetitia Julie Bonaparte (1801–1854), daughter to the Spanish King Joseph Bonaparte and niece to French Emperor Napoleon I – but (in this context, more important) wife of (her cousin!) the well-known French ornithologist and taxonomist; 2nd Prince of Canino and Musignano; (Charles) Lucien Jules Laurent Bonaparte (1803–1857).

No. 5 – swierstrai in …
● Swierstra's Francolin (Francolinus) Pternistis swierstrai ROBERTS 1929
= the Dutch zoologist and ethnologist, most of all entomologist Cornelis Jacobus Swierstra (1874–1952), who went to South Africa in 1894 where he shortly thereafter (or directly after being a South African Citizen in 1896) was employed by the Transvaal Museumin the Capital Pretoria. A job he kept for 50 years! The latter half (from 1922) in the capacity as Museum Director.

No. 6 – usheri in …
● the debated species (or subspecies) White-tailed Canastero Asthenes (dorbignyi /huancavelicae) usheri MORRISON 1947
= the British ornithologist and Museum curator Harold Bench Usher (1893–1990).

Not to be confused (which has been done) with his fellow countryman, Colonial Civil servant, Administrator, Gouvernor and amateur naturalist Herbert Taylor Ussher (1836–1880), commemorated in, for example;
● Mottled Spinetail (Chaetura) Telacanthura ussheri SHARPE 1870 a k a "Ussher's Spinetail" or "Ussher's Spine-tailed Swift"
● Ussher's Flycatcher Muscicapa ussheri SHARPE 1871,
● Rufous Fishing-owl (Bubo) Scotopelia ussheri SHARPE 1871 a k a " Ussher's Fishing-Owl"
● and the questioned species (or subspecies) Black-and-crimson Pitta (Erythropitta) Pitta (granatina) ussheri GOULD 1877 a k a "Ussher's Pitta"

No. 7 – vieilloti in …
● Vieillot's Barbet Lybius vieilloti LEACH 1815
● Puerto Rican Lizard-cuckoo (Coccyzus) Saurothera vieilloti Bonaparte 1850 a k a "Vieillot's Lizard-Cuckoo"
● Australasian Figbird Sphecotheres (viridis/flaviventris) vieilloti VIGORS & HORSFIELD 1827
= the well-known French ornithologist, systematist, taxonomist, traveler and collector Louis Jean Pierre Vieillot (1748–1831), of whom it has been written miles of books (especially in French).

Also commemorated in the Common name of Vieillot's Black Weaver Ploceus nigerrimus VIEILLOT 1819 a k a "Vieillot's Weaver".

No. 8 – Bischoff's in …
● the Common name of the sub-species "Bischoff's Song Sparrow" Melospiza melodia insignis BAIRD 1869
= the German naturalist and taxidermist, surveyor of Alaska; Ferdinand Bischoff (xxxxxxxx), who discovered this Sparrow, and collected six specimens, at "Kadiak" (= Kodiak) Island, Alaska, from May to September 1868.

No. 9 – vasa in …
● Vasa Parrot Coracopsis vasa SHAW, 1812 a k a "Greater Vasa Parrot"
= the local Malagassy name vaza, for today's Black Parrot C. nigra LINNAEUS 1758 (a k a "Lesser Vasa Parrot"). Not the opposite way around (as is often claimed)!

In 1783 Buffon wrote about the latter, calling it: ”LE VASA, OU PERROQUET NOIR” with the following explanation: ”... proprement dits est le vaza, ... nom que celui-ci porte à Madagascar, suivant Flaccourt, ...” which means something like: "…properly called vaza … which is how it is known by on Madagascar, according to Flaccourt".

Although it is possible (but I have no reason to think so) that Buffon confused the two species!? In any case; the above is what he claimed himself.

Later, in 1805, Levaillant applied it (just like Buffon without any scientific names or binary nomenclature) to the "Le Grand Vaza" (today's C. vasa SHAW 1812).

No. 10 – mearnsi in …
● the subspecies "Mearn's Montezuma Quail" Cyrtonyx montezumae mearnsi NELSON 1900: "It is named for Dr. Edgar A. Mearns, U. S. A., in recognition of the great amount of zoölogical work he has done in the region which it inhabits.” a k a "Mearns's Harlequin Quail" or just "Mearns's Quail"
= the fairly well-known US ornithologist, Doctor Edgar Alexander Mearns (1856–1916), Army Surgeon between 1883 and 1909 (stationed in Mexico 1892–1894) – one of the founders of AOU (American Ornithologists’ Union)

And just for the fun of it (attached) … a photo of the latter; Edgar A. Mearns!

Anyone of a different view?

Björn Bergenholtz, Stockholm, Sweden

PS. Don´t hesitate to prove me wrong. Any additional info regarding these etymologies are warmly welcomed! And; if I you feel like adding something, please clearly state which one you are commenting on … just to avoid confusion.

Attachments

• Edgar A. Mearns.jpg
    Edgar A. Mearns.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 50
I guess so ...

Xantus's Murrelet has now been split, but I would suspect that this common English name also commemorates the person mentioned in #1?

Niels

Niels, so it has ... by some (not all) ...

Giving us yet another species (or subspecies) to remember:

● Scripps's Murrelet (Endomychura) Synthliboramphus (hypoleuca/hypoleucus) scrippsi GREEN & ARNOLD 1939: "This bird and two others were secured while the authors were on a collecting trip on the yacht of the late Robert P. Scripps of San Diego. It seems fitting that we should name the new form in honor of this man who did so much to further interest in Pacific coast science, and we therefore designate it"
= the US newspaper tycoon Robert Paine Scripps (1895–1938).

His father Edward Willis Scripps (1854–1926) was (among other things) the founder of San Diego Marine Biological Station 1903 that his son Robert took over and further developed [today's Scripps Institution of Oceanography (University of California, San Diego]

Link to OD (here)

Cheers!

Last edited:
No. 9 – vasa in …
● Vasa Parrot Coracopsis vasa SHAW, 1812 a k a "Greater Vasa Parrot"
= the local Malagassy name vaza, for today's Black Parrot C. nigra LINNAEUS 1758 (a k a "Lesser Vasa Parrot"). Not the opposite way around (as is often claimed)!

In 1783 Buffon wrote about the latter, calling it: ”LE VASA, OU PERROQUET NOIR” with the following explanation: ”... proprement dits est le vaza, ... nom que celui-ci porte à Madagascar, suivant Flaccourt, ...” which means something like: "…properly called vaza … which is how it is known by on Madagascar, according to Flaccourt".

Although it is possible (but I have no reason to think so) that Buffon confused the two species!? In any case; the above is what he claimed himself.

Later, in 1805, Levaillant applied it (just like Buffon without any scientific names or binary nomenclature) to the "Le Grand Vaza" (today's C. vasa SHAW 1812).
Compared with today´s HBW Alive Key entry:
vasa
Malagasy name Vaza for the Greater Vasa Parrot; ex “Grand Vaza” of Levaillant 1805 (Coracopsis).

James, where did I go wrong?

Björn,
In the sources immediately available to me (Milon et al. 1973, Langrand 1990, Safford & Hawkins 2013) only the Greater Vasa Parrot is called Vaza (with reference to the large bill) by the Malagasy; it is also called Boeza be (big parrot), and the Lesser Vasa Parrrot is Boeza kely (little parrot). The plate in de Buffon certainly shows the Lesser Vasa Parrot, therefore either de Flacourt confused the two species or, formerly, Vaza was indiscriminately used for both species.

Forgot ...

I assume "Safford & Hawkins 2013" is; Safford, R. J., and Hawkins, A. F. A. (eds.) 2013. The Birds of Africa. Vol. VIII. The Malagasy Region. Christopher Helm. … but what publications does "Milon et al. 1973" and "Langrand 1990" refer to?

My error; I thought my quoted references were in the References to HBWAlive Key. You are right about Safford & Hawkins; the other two are;
P. Milon, J.-J. Petter & G. Randrianasolo, 1973. Faune de Madagascar. XXXV. Oiseaux. ORSTOM, Tananarive.
O. Langrand, 1990 (transl. W. Daniels). Guide to the Birds of Madagascar. Yale Univ. Press, New Haven.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back