• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow buntings in St Helens - Advice pls (1 Viewer)

aushalk

Hello all

I am pretty sure I saw two snow buntings or what I believe are snow buntings at my backyard bird feeder today. I have never seen one real time hence my doubt about id. They were not on the feeders but on the grass.
As I was getting my camera out unfortunately my little daughter came out running and the birds flew away.
I am planning to watch the feeders tomorrow all morning. Hoping at least to get a shot for the record.
My question is, do they winter in the north west?
If they are not snow buntings are there any similar buntings??
Also which seeds do they prefer??

I have emptied my sunflower seeds and high energy mix all over the backyard:king:. I have plenty of nyjar seeds as well if thats something they prefer;)

All advice is much appreciated

BTW is this the right forum to post my questions

Many thanks
Regards

Ausha

Hello all

I am pretty sure I saw two snow buntings or what I believe are snow buntings at my backyard bird feeder today. I have never seen one real time hence my doubt about id. They were not on the feeders but on the grass.
As I was getting my camera out unfortunately my little daughter came out running and the birds flew away.
I am planning to watch the feeders tomorrow all morning. Hoping at least to get a shot for the record.

I have emptied my sunflower seeds and high energy mix all over the backyard:king:. I have plenty of nyjar seeds as well if thats something they prefer;)

Many thanks
Regards

Ausha

Would be a brilliant garden tick - the nearest I can think of that have been seen this year are Pendle Hill, Southport on the coast and a few on Winter Hill but anything's possible. Not often found in gardens from what I know, can you describe them?

I've attached a shot from this week in Scotland which will give you an idea of plumage at this time of year. One species which might cause confusion could be Reed Buntings [well they do to me as a relative newbie] - which do use gardens in winter - might be worth having a look at some images of those too?

Best of luck with the record shot - failing that there are plenty of helpful birders on here who could work from a description quite often. Good luck!

Attachments

• DSC_0422.jpg
    DSC_0422.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 70
Hi Pitvar

Many thanks for the info.

I am pretty sure its not reed bunting. I photographed them at pennington flash only this week..
I am pretty sure what I saw is very similar to your attached photo. Smaller than the reed bunting with a little orangish colour.
I am so looking forward to tomorrow. Hope they wont disappoint me ..hehe. Will let you know

Hi there
Hmm Come to think of it you are right..

Best for me is if I could get a shot tomorrow.. Grrrr working all week from Monday

Hello all

Many thanks
Regards

Ausha

As mentioned on the other version of this thread:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Norway-spot-rare-bird--Cornwall-garden.html

I stress the bird is a Chaffinch and not a Snow Bunting.

Regards,

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back