• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sardinia sometime during August and September..? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I intend to do a bird-watching trip sometime between mid-August to mid-September. First I had thoughts of driving around Europe, but I realize that I would rather watch birds than putting a lot of time on driving. The next option was to fly to Majorca for a two-week stay. But now I have read in a book called "Bird Travel - Guide to Europe's best birding" about Sardinia which seems to be a very interesting destination. Are there any of you who have been there and who can say anything about the place?

I have found some pretty good sites on the internet about birding in Sardinia, but it would have been nice to hear about your impressions if you've been there. It is likely that I will stay for two weeks. Here in Sweden, it is possible to book a two week trip to Sardinia where, during the first week has access to a car and pre-booked hotel accommodation throughout the island. The second week is the idea that one should stay in one place.

The bird life in Sardinia seems to be very nice and quite exotic for a Swedish birdwatcher like me. Interesting species like Alpine swift, Roller, Cettis Warbler, Citril Finch, Little bittern, Eleonora's falcon, Spectacled warbler, Zittin Cisticola, Griffon vulture, Hoopoe, Barbary partridge, Crag Martin, Slender-billed gull, Night heron, Dartford warbler, Purple swamp hen, Purple heron, Lesser kestrel, Sardinian warbler, Black-winged stilt, Stone curlew etc seems to be possible to observe.

The pre-booked hotels for the first week is in the towns Alghero (1+1 overnight), Cagliari (2 nights), Cala Gonone (1 night), Costa Smeralda (2 nights). The second week, it´s possible to choose to stay in the following cities: Alghero, Porto Conte, Arborea, Castelsardo or Bosa. During the second week, I will not have access to any car..so the question is where is: where is it best to stay out of the above mentioned places?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
After reading what a member of birdforum.net experienced during his holiday in Sardinia a few years ago I become somewhat hesitant about going there. The person wrote:

"We were very disappointed, I'm afraid. Wrong time of year to be going. The litter problem was very bad- even in the wilder parts- it seems as if the summer tourists had used the entire east coast as a toilet, and no-one had bothered to smarten it up a bit- and very few birds around. On top of that, I got food poisoning from one of the restaurants. We found it impossible to drive around as the local drivers were so aggressive and impatient. All in all a very disappointing birding holiday. Even though my family comes from there 3 generations back, I don't think I'll be returning. I hope you have better luck!"

It might be a trip to Mallorca after all then..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back