• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

san pedro tanager - what does it look like? (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

hello,
have just arrived back in cusco after a few days in the lowlands and on the manu road and am posting because i (twice) briefly saw a bird nr cock-of-the-rock-lodge that i could not identify and am *wondering* whether it might be the undescribed tanager, or if i´m overlooking something obvious...

distinguishing features

about size of a silver-lined tanager,
black above but with white flashes in wing, maybe a double wingbar or something (seen in flight only).
Pale throat (maybe yellow),
thickish bill a la ant-tanager or something,
and most distinguishing feature a *very* noticeable (i.e. trogonesque) pale white or whitish eye ring.

if this doesn´t fit anything am quite prepared to consign it to the dustbin

cheers,

James

The name does not fit anything in the n SA book (Restall) and also nothing in SACC. You can probably do a google just as well as I can ;)

Niels

Edit: The Taxonomy or ID fora might have been better for this request.

Last edited:
Hi Niels,
unfortunately google is a bit of a dead end
apart from the fact it looks like uma thurman in kill bill no other ID tips are available.
Will post in the ID and taxonomy threads as you suggest and see if anyone can help but i'm not too hopeful!!
cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back