• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ringed Audouin's gull (1 Viewer)

lusomosa

Greetings,

I saw a flok of 18 Audouin's gulls in Foum Assaka, some 40Km south of Sidi Ifni in Morocco.
One of the young Gulls had a ring.
Can someone make sense of the numbers and where it was ringed ?

All the best,

LP

Attachments

• 1 Foum Assaka.JPG
    1 Foum Assaka.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 58
  • 3 Foum Assaka.jpg
    3 Foum Assaka.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 40
Greetings,

I saw a flok of 18 Audouin's gulls in Foum Assaka, some 40Km south of Sidi Ifni in Morocco.
One of the young Gulls had a ring.
Can someone make sense of the numbers and where it was ringed ?

All the best,

LP

I got the impression that the numbers were a mirror image so have flipped them - attached. This appears to give a number 1100 3028 or 7028. Maybe my mind just playing tricks as can't imagine why should be flipped. No idea about ringing source.

Attachments

• 1 Foum Assaka flipped.jpg
    1 Foum Assaka flipped.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 47
Hi,

If you search the species in cr-birding.org (just click, searched already), you will find there are 4 projects with White Code (2 of them have Four alpha-numeric code and 2 others have Three alpha-numeric code). One of those with 4 codes start with the letter 'I'. The First letter in the code of your bird does not seam to be 'I'. So we left with one option which is Spain: http://cr-birding.org/node/1113. But Spain is big and holds the biggest colonies of the species. Probably the first letter is a 'B' as they use many letters (instead of just numbers) as in the majority of these Spanish-ringed Audouin's observed in northern Morocco.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back