• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI some AZ birds (1 Viewer)

chris butterworth

aka The Person Named Above
I'm heading to Arizona in May and, so far, I've managed to work out sites for most of the specialities. Can anyone help with sites for Rose-throated Becard ( if they are still present ) and Five-striped Sparrow?

Chris,
Five-striped can usually be found in California Gulch off of Ruby Road. I-19 south from Tucson to Amado and then West Arivaca Road to Ruby Road. That is one of the most common places. I've heard of an easier place to see them, but it is escaping me right now.
Rose-throated Becard, only places I have heard is the Patagonia area.
Hopefully someone else will chime in. If I see anything on the list serve, I'll repost.

Thanks Lisa. I keep hearing the Becard is only an occasional visitor nowadays, and, ever since I got my first Nth. American field guide ( Golden - stop sniggering, it was a loooong time ago ), for some reason, it's been one of the species I've been dying to see.

Agree on California Gulch for Five-striped Sparrow, it's a (fun IMO) trek but it's the most reliable spot. Probably best to plan a trip out there, but check on the AZ listserv (http://birding.aba.org/maillist/AZ) for recent sightings in case any are found in more easily accessible areas. Montosa Canyon has had them in the past IIRC.

I haven't heard of any reliable spots for Rose-throated Becard in recent years - as Lisa says Patagonia roadside rest used to be the spot, but no longer. I can't recall if one was found anywhere last year.

Feel free to send a PM when the time gets closer if you want detailed info or a birding buddy (if I'm still around, I leave for Colorado mid-May) B :)

Thanks Ovenbird43, thats the Sparrow sorted :t: . ( I think I'll give up on the Becard - for now ;) ). I'm still working out my itinerary at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm going to belt up to the Grand Canyon for the Condor then down to the canyons in the south east and work my way back or start in Tucson, down to the south east and leave the Condors till last.

If you go for the condor first, you might be tempted to hike around the canyon to take in the scenery and manage to tire yourself out and then have a hard time getting where you want to go in the southeast. If you tire yourself out down in the southeast instead, you can probably rest on a nice bench near the canyon and still get the condor. If you do still have energy, the canyon offers plenty of opportunity to use it up.

If you go for the condor first, you might be tempted to hike around the canyon to take in the scenery and manage to tire yourself out and then have a hard time getting where you want to go in the southeast. If you tire yourself out down in the southeast instead, you can probably rest on a nice bench near the canyon and still get the condor. If you do still have energy, the canyon offers plenty of opportunity to use it up.

:t: I might take two, or even more days ( Probably will now I come to think of it. There's that meteor crater and one of the US's most iconic, and longest, sites to fit in as well. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back