• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Interlaken, February (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
I find myself in Interlaken in the middle of February next year with a bunch of skiers. I don't ski and I'm not familiar with the area at all so I'd be grateful for some advice on where to visit for birds and how to get around.

I'm happy to travel around a bit to day trip other areas. Is it best to use public transport or hire a car?

I think the only bird in the general area I've never seen is Rock Partridge so any advice on that is very welcome. Plus I've never had prolonged views of Alpine Accentor or Tengmalm's Owl and it's a long time since I last saw Grey-headed Woodpecker so info on those would also be very helpful.

Cheers

Alpine Accentor is probably the easiest one of your list. They are quite common in winter around restaurants in skiing areas. The Schilthorn near Interlaken is a good place to see them (and maybe Bearded Vulture and White-winged Snowfinch). The Schilthorn is easily reached by public transport.
Grey-headed Woodpecker is very uncommon around Interlaken. The nearest good place would be the Chablais de Cudrefin. To get there a car is an advantage.
Rock Partridge is extremly difficult in winter. The southern slopes of the Brienzer and Thunersee may be good but they can only be reached in expediton style in winter.
Tengmalm's Owl is found in the woods of the Bernese Oberland. Only problem: you should be higher than Interlaken (Habkern for example or Grindelwald) and they call in the middle of the night. Pygmy Owl is easier as they can be seen during the day. To get into the forest in winter snow shoes would be a big advantage.

André

Much appreciated André.

Sounds like Tengmalm's is going to be tricky again. We will be going higher up but I doubt it will be at night. Shame Rock Partridge can't be pinned down as it would be a lifer.

I'll be happy enough to see Alpine Accentor, Lammergeier and Snow Finch again in any case.

Trip report

I've posted an account of my week in Switzerland with more photos on my blog:
http://thenaturalstone.blogspot.com/2010/02/jungfrau-region-switzerland.html

In the end my wife and I just travelled around and relied on bumping into birds. In the Jungfrau region we visited Grindlewald, First, Männlichen, Mürren and Schilthorn. Alpine Accentors were only at Mürren, but there were a few here and some were singing. Snow Finches were present at most of the higher locations.

Highlights were a couple of Nutcrackers in the highest woodland between Männlichen and Grindlewald and a party of alpestris Ring Ousels at Mürren. The Chamois were also good value, showing well in several places.

The scenery in this area is just sensational and if you don't ski, consider tobogganing. Take a cablecar up to a good spot above some woodland and toboggan down in your own time. This is how we saw the Nutcrackers, Crossbills, Crested and Willow Tits

Attachments

• alpine_chough_16feb10_800l_1896.jpg
    alpine_chough_16feb10_800l_1896.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 111
  • snow_finch_16feb10_800l_1864.jpg
    snow_finch_16feb10_800l_1864.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 91
  • alpine_accentor_16feb10_800l_1853.jpg
    alpine_accentor_16feb10_800l_1853.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 99
  • siskin_19feb10_800l_2044.jpg
    siskin_19feb10_800l_2044.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 103
  • chamois_14feb10_800l_1667.jpg
    chamois_14feb10_800l_1667.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back